How fast do fish grow? (generally)

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by GuitarMan89, Sep 24, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I have a 55 gallon and right now have 1 clown, 1 sixline, 1 yellow watchman, 1 yellow tailed damsel and 3 chromis, totally right now about 12-13 in. I know there is no specific rule for the amount of fish you can keep, that's a different topic. What I want to do is add one last fish, either a flame or coral beauty angel. I feel that because my fish are small, I can get away with another. But about how long does it take for a fish to reach adult size?

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Aslong as you filter your tank, run carbon and keep up on your parameters, I see no reason why not. Just make sure your filter is good for atleast 3 times the water volume.

Predator/Agressive fish grow fast because they have to, or they will be eaten. Other fish grow pretty slow.

Example:
    Pilot fish can grow up to 3 feet, and do most of their growing in the first year.
    Clownfish get to a maximum of 3-6" depending in the species and can take 2-3 years(or more) to reach that size.

4. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I wander how fast a Hippo tang grows. I would like one, but don't want a foot long one. It'll have to be sold or adopted if it gets that big.

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

thanks for the info Geekdafied, very infomative. Anyones elses opinion or personal experience will be greatly appreciated

6. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Hippo's grow pretty slow in captivity because the lack of food for them to graze on all of the time. If you get the blue bellied kind, be prepare for them to nip at your corals when they become adults.

1 person likes this.
  7. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

I have had my fish for three to four months now and have not noticed anything to contradict what Geek has stated. It will take years. And that is good. I am running about 11 to 12 inches in my 90g right now and do not plan on exceeding 20 inches total.

If you want a hippo, go for it. Get a juvenile and watch it grow. I know my LFS would gladly trade an adult for a juvi straight across. Then you start over and life is good for everyone, fish, humans and businesses alike.

8. Click Here!

9. fazool666

fazool666 Sea Dragon

Well from my experience with one I got at a really small size (apx 1") it more than tripled its size in apx 3 months. It got to the point that I felt bad for it (had it in a 35G at the time) and was able to sell it back to the LFS for more than I paid for it BUT the ***** was trying to catch the guy without disturbing the entire tank - even for a decent size fish that guy could really hide! Just my 2 cents ;)

10. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

As I said basically, the lack of food will stunt their growth. How much and how often were you feeding it? A 1" tang is a very young tang, like most things, they grow the most when they are little. Clownfish go from egg to 1" in a few month, but that second inch can take them a year or so.

11. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

You must have been feeding it pretty well for it to grow that fast, I had one in my FO 90 years ago for quite a few years, finally had to get rid of it because it was just to big, but even then it was only about 6 or 7 inches long. As GDF said they grow in accordance with how much food they are given.

12. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

Most fish will not outgrow their food supply. The bigger they are, the more food they require. Which is why certain fish can reach 2 feet in the wild, but rarely reach 1 foot in captivity.