Help My Blue Tang is Loosing color at Night

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by TraquaSerenity, Nov 3, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TraquaSerenity

TraquaSerenity Plankton

Hi,
    I'm new to the hobby have had a 55 gallon salt with two clowns running for 2 mounths. Just added a baby blue tang and I came home yesterday night at 11:30pm and saw him wedged in the Blue Ridge coral. HE LOST HIS COLOR AND WAS AN OPAQUE WITISH BLUE AND HIS BLACK WAS GREY. i worried he was sick but the next morning he had his beautiful blue color again and eat very well. But tonight i noticed he lost his color again and was on his side on the crushed coral bed under a piece of dead coral on his side and then he went back to wedge himself in the Blue ridge. I think he is sick or is this normal What should I do. It is not marine ich I know what that is and have been through it before . I also have a my saliniety at 1.180. I know bule tangs esp. require prestine water conditions and a rigid diet. I think he will pass IS THIS NORMAL. WHAT SHOULD I DO PLEASE HELP ME I DONT WANT TO LOOSE THE FISH. Thank you to all that reply......

2. Click Here!

3. bulltrader

bulltrader Bristle Worm

Sounds strange to me.
    Are you sure about your salinity...should be 1.022 - 1.025 yours would be way too high at 1.180
    If he looks good during the day and eating he must be OK.
    IMO

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

At night or if the particular fish is scarred, often times you will notice that certain fish will have a different color scheme, that will correct itself normally in due time.

5. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

I think thats normal. My yellow tang and green chromis also lose color at night. My tang becomes a light yellow/white. And my chromis lose some of the green. Dont worry about it.:)

6. ziggy222

ziggy222 Fire Goby

if that freaks you out,just wait till it starts laying on its side and plays dead lol.

7. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

I would not worry. At night regal tangs, along with many fish, lose their color. Your fish losing its color and wedging itself in rocks sounds normal...mine did that also. As for your salt...when you say your salinity is 1.180 do you mean your specific gravity? If so, I would highly recommend that you lower it to 1.023-25.

8. Click Here!

9. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

They do play dead, scared me when I first saw that. At the store most people think they are sick and do not buy them.::)

10. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

At this point I would not worry. Our Yellow Bellied Hippo Tang does the same thing. When the lights go out and he is resting in the same place, lying on his side, between two pieces of rock, he looses a fair amount of his deep rich blue, so does our Kole Tang...

11. We$

We$ Spaghetti Worm

Lol it's sleeping often times in fresh and salt water when fish sleep they rest on the bottom and colors fade a little.

12. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Nearly every fish loses color at night. That's their camouflage. It's sleeping.