Help complete my fish selection

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by MMR, Dec 27, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MMR

MMR Plankton

My tank is a tall 110G (48" X 30" X 18"). It's currently Fish Only running for almost a year, but I plan on starting to add soft corals again in a few months. My first coral attempt failed when my MH ballast went out and I was out of town and I couldn't recover the 3 pieces when I returned.

I'm currently trying to figure out how to complete my fish stocking. Currently I have:
    2 Blue/Green Chromis (2")
    1 Ocellaris Clown (2.5")
    1 Powder Brown Tang (4")
    1 Diamond Goby (3")

Couple of hermits and snails

Just before Christmas I added the Goby and a Blue/Regal Tang. (Regal Tang was going to a friends tank when it got too big). From what I had read, the Regal and Powder Brown were from seperate genus and should of had enough room in the 110G to co-exist. Sadly, that turned out to be very wrong. As soon as the Powder Brown (normally very shy) saw the Regal, it wouldn't stop attacking it. The Regal eventually escaped into hiding. We had to leave to go to our parents houses shortly after acclimation so I couldn't stay and watch it and I don't have another tank running. The Regal didn't make it through Christmas. The Goby is doing great and working on my sand.

This makes me question all my thoughts on stocking the tank and I'm turning to you for advice. What fish should I add that won't have problems with the Powder Brown Tang (or anything else). I try to keep my fish below $40.

Should I temprarily move the Powder Brown Tang to a smaller tank when I add fish to make it less aggresive to new fish? Powder Brown wasn't originally in my plan, but my wife loved it because it followed her finger around the tank and it was a great price. Other than the conflict with the tang, I love this fish.

The chromis and clown follow the tang's every move with no conflict. The 4 fish are almost always within a few inches of each other leaving the rest of the tank empty.

future fish:

I know I'm adding another clown, I lost 1 a while back.

Chromis/damsels: I'm thinking about adding a couple more chromis to make a bigger group. Can I include a single (or 3) yellow-tailed damsels with them for a little bit of contrast? I really want something blue and the regal is no longer an option. Given the rest of the fish, would other damsels be an option if the tank stay semi-aggressive? What would be a good total number of chromis/damsels for this tank?

Goby: maybe a Hi Fin Banded Goby (with pistol shrimp ?)

Other fish I've thought of:
    Six Line Wrasse (or other reef safe wrasse)

Royal Gramma

Dispar Anthias (just 1) (Conflict with chromis ?)

Cardinal (Spotted or Kaudern's)

DartFish (Firefish or Zebra Barred Dartfish)

Purple PsuedoChromis (just 1)

Butterfly Fish (would the Tang see these as a threat? Potential soft coral issues?)
    Saddle Back
    Copperband?

Flame Angel (or another dwarf angelfish)

?? Any other good ideas under $40

Can somebody help me decide my complete combination of these fish for my tank size? Anything that I should be aware of that I may have missed?

2. Click Here!

3. takingvapes

takingvapes Astrea Snail

Wish I could be more help with fish selection but I can point you towards a site that is pretty good. "Liveaquaria.com" Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums There is a search filter on the right hand side when your looking at fish that you can adjust to your conditions. Like tank size, and reef safe. They also have a compatability chart that may be helpful.

Just throwing that out there.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Just my personal favorites. Have not kept any butterfly fish in many many years, I never had any long term luck with them.

5. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

maybe a starry blenny? those like nice.

6. MMR

MMR Plankton

Thanks for the help! What I'm currently thinking is below. Does this seem appropriate for 110G, or is it too much. What am I overlooking?

Already Have:
    1 Ocellaris Clown
    1 Powder Brown Tang
    1 Diamond Goby
    2 chromis

Plan to add:
    1 more Ocellaris Clown
    3 more chromis (5 total)
    2-3 yellow tailed damsels
    (not expecting to school with chromis, but maybe keep the larger group of chromis together)

1 Hi Fin Banded Goby
    Royal Gramma
    Six Line Wrasse

1 Coral Beauty (maybe the flame angel instead)

Thoughts?

7. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

seems like a lot but its a 110 gallon so idk

8. Click Here!

9. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

If i were you i would not keep or get chromis or damsels, because chromises die off one by one due to aggression in species and damsels can be bullies... Also 110 seems small for the power brown Tang, minus the fact that its a tall not a long, but they are my favorite tangs :)

10. MMR

MMR Plankton

Any suggestions/ideas on how I should stock without the chromis?

11. TheSaltwaterGuy

TheSaltwaterGuy Banned

How about instead of chromis you get a few firefish; some stores sell them in schools of 5 or more

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If you forgo the damsels you are looking still at a fairly large bio-load of 13 fish if I did the math right. If you have a sump that will be of assistance. With the addition of the damsel too much IMO. If it were me I would not add either the damsels or anymore chromis and that should leave you about right. I really like chromis and damsels too, but they just do not fit with this list.
    Of course to the additional clown, a younger smaller one.

Tough choices. :)