Fish loss...replacement...

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by omard, Jun 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Expect we all have different degrees of emotional attachment to creatures living on our created reefs.

I, for one, develop a much closer relationship with each critter, the longer I have it.

There are a number of fish that have been with me since I first got into hobby.

We are extremely close.

I know their habits, they know mine.

Ever notice how they learn feeding times and go into frenzy when you approach tank during regular feeding periods and just kind of wander about and do their thing when you come close during non-feeding periods. (expect this is much more pronounced if you generally feed at same times every day.)

Also ever observe how they will come up to glass to say hello(?) whenever you or family member comes into room or come near glass...but ignore or actually go into hiding when a stranger approaches? (esp. visiting children...they know, they know...:-/) Even when my cats which like to perch on nearby chair and sit for hours watching and dreaming about getting in there with them, the fish used to go into hiding...but now totally ignore or put on shows for.

Losing a long held resident is a traumatic event.

Trip to LFS is best means to remedy sense of loss.

But even same kind of replacement fish is just not the same as lost one.

Its just looks different, habits are not the same and there is very little sense of attachment or emotional bonding for long period to come. Even to point of little regret if for some reason it does not make it for one reason or other, or if does not get along with other fish in tank...except of loss in $$ spent.

Usually I only give it a few days to adjust to other fish and new environment, or out it comes and goes back to LFS if does not. Existing fish have priority

Even while looking the same as lost one, other fish tank know it is a different fish and will generally harass it for a while till accepting new resident...

Enough blabbering...guess I am still in grief period over demise of my sixline. :cry:

R.I.P.
    [​IMG]
    (Sixline Pics)
    RE: I Love my Sixline! [​IMG]

Losing a long held fish makes me physically ill. :-[ [​IMG] :cry:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

I know how you feel as I lost my flame angel on friday. it hurts.

4. geekdafied

geekdafied 3reef Sponsor

did you check your overflow??? Havent you loss fish to the overflow before?

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Overflows covered...learned that lesson long ago...:-[

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol: My fish come to the glass for anybody at any time of day. As far as they're concerned, we are just the hand that feeds them, nothing more, nothing less.

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

[​IMG]
    Funny mine don't. But then again, my tank is located in a very busy part of the house, and fish have had a long time to develop certain habits.

(Also I probably spend way too much time just sitting and observing fish...but is also true...I tend to have a overly active imagination...[​IMG])

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

:lol: Nothing wrong with that! My tank is located in the most active part of the house too. My fish just happen to be food mongers :lol:

10. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

omard i know exactly what you mean! ive only had my fish for a year put we have def bonded( most with my scooter dragonete) he was my first fish. he comes up to the glass whenever im infront of it, and flashes his dorsal fin, and goes crazy. not begging for food,when he wants food he goes to the top of the tallest rock, so he can suck from the end of the turkey baster. i felt bad that he had no one to share a life with so i got him a girl friend 2 months ago and they really took to each other immediatly.
    also just got a sixline 3 weeks ago(my last fish) he is very well behaved.
    (thou he does look like a trouble maker with his yellow mohawk.) ireally like him and hes one of those fish that will look you right in the eyes, like they want to comunicate.lol
    (i sometimes talk to them but i dont think the hear me.)lol

im with you on the to much imagination,lol or maybe im crazy.my friend told me crazy people stare at fish.lol

did you get a replacement yet?

what other fish do you have?
    maybe i could give you a recommend, all my fishs were pick based on personality, wanted the ones that were a lil unusual. male&female clowns, male&female scooters, neon goby, true yellow coral goby,and sixline.
    (they are a goofy crew)

also i like having a bigger tank filled with a bunch of(nano) fish. over fewer larger fish.
    tried a tang as my last fish( befor the other scooter and goby and sixline)
    lets just sya he was in the tank total of 2 weeks befor i had enough of him, traded him in for the sixline.much happier,and so are my fish.

11. BluePhish

BluePhish Teardrop Maxima Clam

omard i know exactly what you mean! ive only had my fish for a year put we have def bonded( most with my scooter dragonete) he was my first fish. he comes up to the glass whenever im infront of it, and flashes his dorsal fin, and goes crazy. not begging for food,when he wants food he goes to the top of the tallest rock, so he can suck from the end of the turkey baster. i felt bad that he had no one to share a life with so i got him a girl friend 2 months ago and they really took to each other immediatly.
    also just got a sixline 3 weeks ago(my last fish) he is very well behaved.
    (thou he does look like a trouble maker with his yellow mohawk.) ireally like him and hes one of those fish that will look you right in the eyes, like they want to comunicate.lol
    (i sometimes talk to them but i dont think the hear me.)lol

im with you on the to much imagination,lol or maybe im crazy.my friend told me crazy people stare at fish.lol

did you get a replacement yet?

what other fish do you have?
    maybe i could give you a recommend, all my fishs were pick based on personality, wanted the ones that were a lil unusual. male&female clowns, male&female scooters, neon goby, true yellow coral goby,and sixline.
    (they are a goofy crew)

also i like having a bigger tank filled with a bunch of(nano) fish. over fewer larger fish.
    tried a tang as my last fish( befor the other scooter and goby and sixline)
    lets just sya he was in the tank total of 2 weeks befor i had enough of him, traded him in for the sixline.much happier,and so are my fish.

12. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Ok, we are both "crazy"

My main tank is stocked with a wide variety of characters, most of which have been together a long, long time. And all get along together just fine.

There are well established territorial boundaries that are respected by all.

There is no overt aggressiveness by any species against another, despite allot of interaction between them.

Some like schooling together around tank.

The Damsels like to play chase now and then with the Coral beauty periodically joining in. But all in fun.

Tank is very "fish heavy" so am pretty lucky they all live in harmony with each other even in such tight quarters. Probably due to very selective additions over a long period, getting as juveniles whenever possible, and keeping very close eye on new arrivals...

In my 125 Gallon - Currently:

(2) Maroon Clown (pair)
    (2) Yellow Tail Damsels
    (2) Black Striped Damsels (Humbug)
    (1) Yellow Tang
    (1) Bicolor Blenny
    (1) Green Spotted Mandarin
    (1) Coral Beauty
    (1) YellowTail (Coris) Wrasse
    (1) SnowFlake Eel
    (1) Pink Spotted Shrimp Goby
    (1) Four/Twelve Line Wrasse (Pseudocheilinus hexataenia)

12 Gallon NanoCube:

(2) False Percula Clowns (pair)
    (1) Yellow Watchman Goby
    (1) Jewel Damsel

Took a while for Damsel in Nano to learn to "play" with the perc's and vice versa...but all are friends now.

As I said above, if a newly introduced fish does not fit in well together with existing ones in relatively short period of time, it comes out.

Don't want to get anyone get too stressed, new or old.

Not ready for another sixline...wanted something different, so went with a 4/12 line. Was shy and flightly first couple of days, but is now out and rambling around tank as comfortable as if had been in tank ages.