fish compatablity/bioload question

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by jay, Aug 12, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jay

jay Guest

I am setting up my first reef tank currently and have started looking into what I would like to stock it with. The tank won't begin cycling until the first of Sept when I can aford the live rock and gotten the remainder of the equipment together. So right now this is just wishful thinking.

For fish I don't want many, as I mostly want inverts. This is what I would like fish wise: Lemon Peel Angel (Centropyge flavissimus), either a Percula or False Percula Clown (I am leaning towards the false) and an Antennata Lion (Pterois antennata). Any thoughts on compatablity or warnigns with this fish combo? Bioload for my size tank? Also I have read the Angel may nip corals and that the Lion may bother other fish and shrimp. I have seen all of these fish listed as low to medium maintance.

As for other live stock, I want tons of inverts (shrimp, crabs, nutibranks, star fish, sea cucmber, ...). And would like to keep a few soft corals to start, mostly zoos.

The tank is a 40 gallon tall, with a HOB skimmer/refugium combo, which brings the capcity without sand or rock to about 53 gallons. It will have a 3 inch sand bed in the tank and I belive 4 inches in the refugium. 40 lbs of keys live rock. 2x55 watt CP and 1x175 watt metal halide for lihting.

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

jay,

Great job on planning in advance!  

The Angel and Lion fish are not good reef candidates.  Angels are notorious nippers of corals and Lions will eat anything they can suck into their mouths.

Clownfish are a good choice as are Flasher and Fairy Wrasses.  These wrasses stay small, 3" - 5" inches, they are ultra colorful, swim actively and are very peaceful and mix well with other non-aggressive fish.  Three or four small fish are perfect for your 40 gallon tank.

Firefish, Pajama Cardinals, and Banded Sleeper Gobies would also be good reef options.  

Strawberry or Purple Psuedochromis stay small but can be on the aggressive side.  I have one with my pair of Banded Sleeper Gobies inm my 30 gallon refugium and they get along well.

Two Red Skunk Cleaner Shrimp along with 15 or so Scarlet Hermit Crabs would be good crustacean population.  A good mix of Cerith, Nassaurius, Margarita, and Astrea snails would round out your clean-up/maintenance crew.  A Queen or Fighting Conch or two would also be good.

Nudibranchs can have a taste for soft corals, and I wouldn't recommend them.

All soft corals will be fine under your MH lighting.  HTH