fairy wrasse vs Foxface!!

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Sheliaknows, Apr 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sheliaknows

Sheliaknows Fire Worm

hello everyone i have another delema.... My tank was looking quite empty so i decided to pick up a new friend for my lone foxface and pair of perculas that are in my 55G. ever since my yellow wrasse jumped out one night and was found dried on the floor my foxface has seemd very sad because it use to be his swimming buddy....everywhere the wrasse went the foxface would follow and you could tell they liked eachother, so naturally it was quite dissapointing when the little yellow guy died. i have since corrected the problem and have an eggcrate top on my tank instead of just being open. I was hoping to find another yellow wrasse but couldn't. I decided to choose a fish that was calm and not so quick to move around as i also noticed the foxface is quite sketchy when stuff moves fast around him. I thought the fairy wrasse would be an excellent choice based on that criteria. i brought one home last night and acclimated it and released into the dark tank(no lights). Today when the lights came on i couldn't find the bugger he hides well. after watching the tank for over 2 hours my wrasse came out just enought to see his face, when my foxface came close and saw the new commer it immediatly darted at him and freaked out!!! like i have never seen a fish do before. My foxface has never been an enforcer before and now seems to have laid claim to the whole tank as his territory. I can tell the wrasse wants to come out cause he peeks out the rock frequently but as soon as the foxface can be seen he runs, and if he doesn't see the foxface he gets niped at. Do you think this will pass with time or did i not do enough research into this fish? any suggestions??

as i said before the tank is a 55G reef, 20G fuge, all that inhabits the 55G is the foxface and two false perculas hosting a LTA. i have some cleaner shrimp and crabs and snails like everone else but just the 3 fish and now the new commer that is a problem.

2. Click Here!

3. Sheliaknows

Sheliaknows Fire Worm

I tried moving around some of the LR in the tank so the territory would become different and hopefully no claim made on it, but seems to have done very little. The wrasse was eating like a pig in the store and now i haven't seen it eat in yet being i my tank

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

That is normal for the situation, newcomers are not politely welcomed. This should calm down after a couple of days as they get use to seeing each other and he wrasse becomes more comfortable in his new surroundings. The wrasse should find plenty of food even when in hiding.

1 person likes this.
  5. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Weird, usually foxfaces are not aggro at all.

My foxface Lo is pretty big, but could care about any newcomers. He hangs out with my sailfin tang, and that fish is so mellow that it must rub off on him.

1 person likes this.
  6. Sheliaknows

Sheliaknows Fire Worm

well i'm hoping your right and he's just being shy....i barely see the wrasse, and i agree i have never seen an agressive foxface before. Even in the past when i added other fish my foxface was always calm never agressive to newcomers. thanks for the advice and I hope they'd be friends like the yellow wrasse and foxface were before.