Diamond goby Owners

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by vegasfish, May 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

I purchased a diamond goby this past weekend and have yet to see him eat any of the brine shrimp I have put in the tank. He is how ever going to town on sifting the sand. Should I be worried that he is not eating when I feed the tank? Or is he getting his food out of the sand? I do plan on making my own food mixture up for the fish this weekend, Thanks to Omar's thread on making food.

The only other fishes in the tank are a fire damsel and lawnmower blenny. And there are 2 snails and four hermit crabs.

2. Click Here!

3. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

Bump...

Anyone even if you don't own one tell me what you think or know please.

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Sand sifting gobies prefer to eat the bugs out of your sandbed over "commercial" foods.

1 person likes this.
  5. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Which is why they may come to an early demise. Often starving due to lack of food.

1 person likes this.
  6. luvreefs23

luvreefs23 Millepora

I would think about the only thing u can do is try a variety of quality frozen foods and maybe try to lure him in by soaking em in garlic. Brine shrimp wont do much for him anyway even if he was eating it.

1 person likes this.
  7. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

okay thanks. I will try to get food into the sand bed and when I make up the food this weekend I will use garlic. thanks for the help

8. Click Here!

9. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

I've had Diamond Gobies... they need to be target fed by a water baster with Formula 1 or some other meaty mulch or you take a bit of the mulch or cube and bury it near their burrow in the sand. edit - so the other fish don't get it first.

2 people like this.
  10. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

I see I will give that a try in the morning. He is so cool. He made his burrow by digging a trench between two rocks. I get home late at night from work when the lights are off but he has been sticking his head out to say hi.

11. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

They are cool. They are jumpers though, cover the top lip of your tank for safety. I lost one behind the tank once.

12. dh1758

dh1758 Astrea Snail

From what I saw with mine before he bit the dust for different reasons, I think it can be a little based on the size you purchase them at. Mine was 3" and immediately eat everything thrown in the tank, I would guess the younger ones just haven't gotten used to it yet, try a smaller food like cyclops or something similar. just MO

1 person likes this.