Coral Beauty is a bully

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by david, Jul 31, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

I just got a small 6 line wrasse. I've had a coral beauty in the tank for some time and I think he thinks the tank is his alone.
    He shadows the wrasse all the time. The wrasse dosen't seem to be afraid of the angel he dosen't run but I have yet to see the wrasse eat anything! is there any thing I could do to help this situation?

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Move some rocks around. That will reestablish territories. :)

4. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Is it bad to move your rock around? I did move some around when I was aclimating the wrasse well right before. I also feed the beauty and left the lights off for the rest of the day.But I only moved some of the smaller rocks as not to disturb to much of my rock work.One good thing though I just got back from the fish store and I got some mysis shrimp. The wrasse ate 2 or 3 of them maybe a few more!! Do you think I should still move more rock Matt? Or maybe it'll be o.k.? Please let me know what you think. Also I've never feed frozen how long can you keep it in the fridge after you thaw it? Would it be o.k. to feed some to my wifes fresh water oscars? Thank you for the help! :D

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

If the problem persists or worsens, for the wrasses sake, you should rearrange your rock work. It won't hurt your tank.

It is critical to evaluate your stocking plan and add the most territorial fish last. For future reference, angels and tangs are some of the fish that should be added last.

I'm not a fresh water person so I will defer on the Oscar question.

6. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

If they still act up I would carefully move more rock David.

I wouldn't leave thawed food in the fridge for very long. I read a study by Bingman? (can't remember) where they found the quality of the food - meaning nutrient levels - went down substantially after a while.

Oscars will eat anything! ;D They are pigs! I don't think it will hurt, but it really isn't their real diet either.

Congrats on the skimmer issue, keep us posted.

7. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Yes I wish I had thought about that when I bought the beauty(a stocking plan)!When I bought him he was like 1" now he's 3" and fat as a pig!! In my last tank I had, I got coral beautys and they wouldn't last too long because they would be bullied by the damsels. So not really thinking I got one first. now I have to deal with him being the bully. If it is too much of a problem I may take him back and exchange him for a nice peaceful clown fish! I hope it dosen't come to that though.The beauty has grown on me.

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Hang in there David. Maybe moving that rock and a little time will cure your problem.

10. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Well I moved the rock around pretty good this morning before the lights came on. I guessed that would be less stressful on everything.So we'll see how it goes from there. I'm hoping all will be well on the reef? ;D

11. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

WOW! just had an after thought do six-line wrasse bury themselves at night?I know some wrasse do this I hope I didn't move a huge chunk of live rock onto a sleeping wrasse to try to save it and inadvertantly end up hurting it more?
    Anybody help me with this one the lights have come on and I've seen everybody but the wrasse!

12. CheckMateKingll

CheckMateKingll Feather Duster

David,
    I do believe that Wrasse buries at night, Wrassman's the expert on that.
    As far as your CB, It will be the bully of the tank to whatever is put in it unless of course whatever you put in is bigger then your CB.
    Tuff choice to decide if you keep it or remove it. If removed  you could always put another in later on when you stock other less aggresive species first.
    Also, soak the mysis in a Vitamin supplement like Selcon for an hour before feeding, that will give them all the nutritional value they need.
    Good Luck