Clownfish eating torch coral?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by jeffers0n, Jun 6, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jeffers0n

jeffers0n Feather Duster

I put in a nice torch a yesterday, and i woke up this morning to find my clown fish swimming viciously through it. I thought cool, he hosted it, but as i looked closer, i saw he was biting the little bubble tips off, i think he even ate one. I have moved the coral to my bros tank for now. Any ideas on how to stop him?

2. Click Here!

3. BlueWaters10

BlueWaters10 Skunk Shrimp

Move one of them out of the tank. Or you could build a small divider out of plexiglas.

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Clownfish mouth their host. They do to anemones as well. Theory is that it some how aids in preventing the clownfish from being severly stung by the host, but who knows. Anyway it's common.

The corals or the fish will probably have to be relocated. The affections of a clownfish are sometimes too much for a Euphyllia, causes stress to the coral leading to it's demise.

1 person likes this.
  5. jeffers0n

jeffers0n Feather Duster

Do you think if i put an anenome in my reef tank, he will host that instead of my coral.

6. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

What type of clown and nem? If not a natural pair, or a tank raised clown it's anyones guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. jeffers0n

jeffers0n Feather Duster

It's a maroon clown and I'm thinking about a bubble tip anemone.

8. Click Here!

9. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

That's a natural mix, but a Maroon is very agressive and will likely kill a small BTA. The BTA would need to be several times larger than the clown and introduced cautiously.

Here is another reefers experiece, this is unfortunately not an uncommon outcome:
    My first Rose BTA