Clownfish and Anemone Compatibility

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by fletch, May 5, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

There is a definite closeness between clownfish and their host anemone. The anemone provides protection for the clown, and in turn for this protection the clown feeds and cleans the anemone and also may even drive off fish that could be harmful to the anemone. These two animals share a true symbiotic relationship. But will any clown go into any anemone? The answer to this question is most definitely NO!

http://www.bestfish.com/tips/032698.html

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

That's great info. BTW did you know that cardinals often host in anemones too?

Clownfish aren't born immune to anemone's. Prior to adopting an anemone, they rub up against the base to coat themselves with the anemone's mucus. Once coated, they are safe inside the stinging cells in the anemones tentacles. Any fish that knows how to do this is safe.

The following is from the February 2004 issue of Aquarium Fish Magazine

A number of cardinalfish will associate with sea anemones, with several common western Pacific species being well known for this. The orangestriped cardinalfish (Apogon cyanosoma) and the Moluccan cardinalfish (A. moluccensis) occasionally associate with the leathery (or sebae) anemone (Heteractis crispa) and the magnificent sea anemone (H. magnifica). The bridle cardinalfish is a resident of the Atlantic Ocean that inhabits the curlycue sea anemone (Bartholomea annulata). In some cases, cardinalfish simply swim near the stinging tentacles. In other cases, they readily contact and shelter within them.

The Banggai cardinalfish was originally reported to shelter among the spines of Diadema sea urchins. In Lembeh Strait, northern Sulawesi, I have regularly seen them swimming near the corkscrew tentacle (Macrodactyla doreensis), giant carpet (Stichodactyla gigantea) and Haddon's carpet (S. haddoni) anemones. It will contact and swim among the tentacles of the leathery sea anemone. With the other three, the cardinals usually swim close but never (or rarely) come in contact with the stinging cells.

Once, I also saw a juvenile Banggai swimming around and between (but not contacting) the tentacles of the deadly Hell's fire anemone (Actinodendron sp.). Anemones are not the only cnidarians these cardinalfish associate with. Juveniles will swim among the tentacles of the anemonelike stony coral Heliofungia actiniformis.

When these cardinalfish first started to appear in Lembeh Strait, a single anemone would typically harbor an adult pair of P. kauderni and occasionally one or two juveniles. As the Banggai population increased, the most desirable anemones (i.e., H. crispa) were overrun with these cardinalfish. The carpet anemones, which seem the less-sought-after host, were still home to solitary pairs of P. kauderni. It's not unusual to see Banggai cardinalfish sharing an anemone with anemonefishes. I have seen them living alongside pairs of Clark's anemonefish (Amphiprion clarkii) and the pink skunk anemonefish (A. perideraion). One patch of three medium-size H. crispa was home to a pair of Banggai cardinals, a breeding pair of Clark's and a pair of pink skunks. In this and other cases, the anemonefish paid little attention to the cardinalfish, even when the anemonefish were guarding eggs.

If you get an individual Banggai or a pair of these apogonids, there is a good chance they will swim among the tentacles of your sea anemone. I have seen them associate with H. crispa on a number of occasions in the aquarium, as well as in the wild.

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Great information Curt!

Damsels, of which Clown fish are a member of this classification, will adopt the same behvior that Clown fish are famous for.

6. mac77

mac77 Plankton

I have a problem, I dont know where to post this comment so I am doing here.Its about my maroon clownfish, he has it against a acropola coral, he was not like that before but now he is knocking it over constantly, it does not matter where I place the cora he finds it and knock it over, what you guys have any experience with something like this, he has break a few pieces of the coral already. I dont know what else to do, tight the coral to a rock? please I need help on this.

7. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

mac,

My Maroon female will knock down anything I place near "her corner" - She is very territorial and wants her area the way it is.

Don't see what size your tank is, but expect the clown has decided it is all hers.

et.al.

On clowns --- my maroons love their bubbletips. I have eight of them in the tank now, and the clowns are in them all day long. - The female always sleeps in the largest one - sometimes letting the male join her. If not, he will spend night in any of the others :confused:

Scott ;D ;D ;D

OmarD
    Silverdale, WA
    [​IMG]