Clown Goby & Midas Blenny

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by dancin_trancy, Feb 8, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dancin_trancy

dancin_trancy Fire Worm

Hello all, I am looking into my next fish, first was considering a firefish, but with my new lighting, my tank now has an open top, so they are out of the question.

What experiences have you guys has with the Yellow Clown Goby or Midas Blenny. Any additional information would be great. Any problems you've had or heard, how often are they able to be seen, temperment etc. etc.

I have been doing research of course, but some sources are giving mixed information. I have read almost everywhere that you should exercise caution when having gobies together, but many online pics of the clown goby has them with 2 or more...would I be able to get two you think? I know they are very small, but do they show themselves? And the midas blenny...any info you can give me on those, do they swim in the water column much? I just cant seem to think of any fish for my tank...since it is so small...only going to get one, maybe two more at the most. I was also thinking of a royal gramma, but many sources say they are very territorial and might become a problem, also that they might attack some shrimp. I have already asked for recommendations for stocking before, but any additional ideas or info would be great. I am planning on acquiring more corals than I currently have listed.

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

I love yellow clown gobies! they are such cool little critters...if you have any branching coral...soft or hard...heck...really any corals (mine relax on my shroom and anything it can)...if your close with the workers at ur lfs ask them if you can get like 3-5 and wait for 2 to pair then bring the rest back, if not maybe get 2 small ones...i have 5 origonally...back in the day...and now only one pair is left they lay eggs about every 2-3 weeks and they are just cool fish to watch

4. Reef Lover

Reef Lover Sea Dragon

Firefish will only jump if stress. Even then it is very unlikely that they will jump out. I have 5 gobies with a 2 inch opening in the back and never had a problem. My cleaner shrimp comes close to coming out.

5. rickzter

rickzter Torch Coral

I have a green clown goby. He looks like a bulldog in fish form! At first, he pretty much didn't come out, 2 weeks later, that little guy shoots out of his cave to munch on meaty morsels. Be warned, based on the behavior I have noticed on mine, these fish are not super active, they will usually stay put where they feel comfortable and only "explore" the tank when they are looking for food. They are extremely shy and not very active. I am planning to pair mine with a yellow clown as a buddy to hang out with. That's if they dont fight. :tongue4:

6. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

ya my guys only swim when i come over lol...but it is fun to watch them sway with the corals :)

7. dancin_trancy

dancin_trancy Fire Worm

Hmmm...they are cute though....Since I'm limited with the number of fish I can keep, I decided on purchasing a Midas Blenny....amazing the color change to occurs when being transferred to a new location, just a little sad that you can actually see how stressed out the fish is when being moved....he turned a taupe/brown color with a beautiful thick striped pattern, almost like a lawnmower blenny....a few minutes after being transferred into the tank, he came back to his beautiful yellow/pink/purple/blue, well you get the idea! He is awesome...the clowns and fireshrimp began cautiously investigating the newcomer! :) It was very cute...The Blenny scouted himself some turf under a piece of synthetic coral....and started digging away to make a comfy spot...then within a few minutes, he would swim out....check things out and go back in, every time he would swim a little farther! Anywho...I hope he works out....but seems to be doing nicely so far. Ill take a pic of him as soon as he gets a little more settled and swims in the water column long enough to take one! :)

Also bought some hammer coral...crossing my fingers for those too!

Thank you everyone for your comments!

8. Click Here!

9. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Very cool! make sure to post pics of the little explorer soon!

10. dancin_trancy

dancin_trancy Fire Worm

Ya, lastnight she started to explore his new home... she was swimming all over the place....then backing himself into a little cave...luckily it was strategically placed to face the front thank god...so now she is always in view...but she is swimming more than I expected....and everyone seems to be accepting the new comer nicely! Think I actually caught my fireshrimp attempting to give her a good spit shine...and "Queen Sofia" just took a load off and invited the attention! Very interesting....must get a pic of that....but she is a difficult one to get a clear pic of...so squiggly! :)

Somehow I'm ended up going with a royalty theme for my names....
    Clown pair: Queen Elizabeth and Henry VIII
    Midas Blenny: Queen Sofia of Spain

Silly I know, but its fun! hehehehe! :)