Clown Fish at the bottom of the tank

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by ducktales, Oct 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ducktales

ducktales Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I woke up this morning to see my clown fish hoovering over the sand at the bottom of the tank. hes been there the entire day and still there. I don't notice anything different physically on him, no mucus or white spots or anything. The only thing I did was change my water yesterday and bumped the salinity up to 1.025 from 1.023 and he was fine after the WC. What could be wrong? All parameters are good. Nothing much changed. I feed every other day with half a cube of mysis, I only have 2 clowns.

2. Click Here!

3. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

does it just lay there? if so mine does this periodically.

are the two clowns different in size? have they been acting weird? if so they may be breeding and a rock close to your clownfish has the eggs on it and it is guarding them.

if its upside down... well you get the picture...

any who. if its acting ok and has no visible signs of illness then well maybe its just doing waht clownfish do best.... being weird.

4. ducktales

they're not mating yet. the other clown is the bigger one, female. this one is still a child, less than an inch long. it seems to be doing fine now. weird fishes.

5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

That's a pretty good bump in salinity for one day. It could be having some difficulty acclimating to the new salt level.

6. acemow

acemow Purple Spiny Lobster

I just want to add that if mysis is the only food source, you probably want to start to introduce another food for them. There are some threads on the kinds of foods to give if you are going to try to breed them. You may already know that, but I thought I'd mention it. Happy reefing!

7. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

I agree. I once did a bump in my salinity during a water change on accident (didn't let the water sit long enough). Right after the change, the clownfish was fine and doing its normal thing. The next day it was laying on the bottom just sitting there doing nothing. It did this for about two days and then pulled out of it and was back to its good ole self. So my advice is if its not mating, then to just give it some time. Worked for mine.

8. Click Here!

9. ducktales

yea, i won't be breeding them. i'll give it a few days and monitor them. i also have pellets as well, formula 1 pellet.