Changing colors in Yellowtail Blue Damsels

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Om_Seeker, Oct 18, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Om_Seeker

Om_Seeker Astrea Snail

(Okay, maybe I should put this under the Newbie Forum but I'll put it here since it has to do with fish.)

Not an emergency or anything, just an interesting observation that I was wondering if anyone had any comments on.

I have two yellowtail blue damsels (Chrysiptera Parasema) as I slowly break in my tank. Fishbase.org link for these blue damsels

Both damsels seem pretty healthy and their blue colors are quite vibrant.

However, I noticed at night when they are sleeping that their blue color fades to a pale powder/cobalt blue. At first I thought they were sick or something but as soon as they wake up and start swimming around, the vibrant blue colors come back. This appears to happen everyday when I check.

Any idea why this happens? Is this part of their normal biorhythmic cycle?

The wonders of ocean life! ;D

Thanks,
    Greg

2. Click Here!

3. Brian_B47

Brian_B47 Astrea Snail

Now by far I'm know expert. But I would say that would be normal. A fish's metabolism slows down when it is resting, like yours does when you rest. Hens the color will fade a little ;)

4. dano

dano Spaghetti Worm

Thats how i can tell when mine are hungry. for some reason, or they just learned thats how they will be fed. they will turn almost white and swim around the surface. as soon as i drop some food they turn back to blue.
    and if your wondering im not starving them i feed them when i wake up and befor i put them to bed.

5. Om_Seeker

Om_Seeker Astrea Snail

Hmmm, very interesting. Thanks for your comments guys.

Dano - My damsels only seem to turn light blue/pale at night when the lights are off. So you're saying that your damsels get that color during the day? Wow.

6. dano

dano Spaghetti Worm

the guy at the lfs was putting one in a bag for me and it turned white. he said when they get scared they loose color when they get spooked. i dont know what he was thinking he passed on by morning.
    i think it depends on each fish. but its neat to see hna?
    i have two domino's and they let the yellow tails know who owns the tank, but that doesnt seem to do it.

7. GraviT

GraviT Coral Banded Shrimp

My fiji devil (similar to a yellow-tail damsel) and my yellow tang both go through color changes when the lights go off. I would say it's normal. ;D

8. Click Here!

9. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

Roger that.....happens on most.

10. aic007

aic007 Astrea Snail

yeah I notice this too when I pick up damsels at the store. They go all dark and the yellow from their tail disappears. I put them in my tank at home and boom new fish.

11. Save_the_Reef

Save_the_Reef Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I had some type of cychlid in a freshwater tank. It did the same thing. One minute it was bright red,blue,black, and silver. The next the colors dulled. I believe that their colors are reflective of the mood they are in. Maybe they feel threatened and dull their colors to help blend into surroundings by becoming less reflective.

12. sssnake

sssnake Montipora Digitata

When I was keeping a fresh water tank my cardinal tetras did the same thing. I don't think there's anything to worry about.