Blue Streak cleaner wrasse doing Fantastic! 3 weeks later, still alive and thriving!

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by HollyG, Jun 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

I got a blue streak cleaner wrasse about a 3 weeks ago because I had only a slight parasite problem. He took care of the parasites in one day, so I was happy about that. I created a concauction of blood worms, 2 different type of plankon and mysys shrimp, mixed it together and froze it for him in an attempt to keep him alive as best I could. I was right on track because my cleaner wrasse LOVES the food I made up for him. I really wasn't expecting him to live more than 2 weeks, even with how well he seems he is doing because of what I have heard about cleaner wrasses. He eats more than any of my other fish, to the point where his belly is protruting and round to the point where I really have to monitor how much I feed him. For a fish that is appartently hard to feed and dies within a couple weeks you get them, mine seems to be thriving without parasites. He is so comfortable in hs enviornment that he even attacks my hand if I place it in the tank. I have never heard of a cleaner wrasse doing that. He will actually charge and ram my hand and bite with all of his fins flared out! This morning I fed the fish flakes I have for my other fish and I took notice that my cleaner wrasse was even eating the fish flakes! Only the smaller pieces but he was eating them none the less. I was jumping for joy when I saw that. I am a beginner with saltwater fish and that cleaner wrasse is only my 5th saltwater fish ever and he is doing way better than just "good" he is doing fantastic! everything I have heard about these beautiful little fish hasn't happened to mine. He is just as healthy as any other fish in my tank! Everytime I walk by the tank he whizes and dances back and fourth infront of the glass in excitment! I am happy with my beautiful blue streak and hope he sticks around for years to come. I just thought I would post this because I am so happy about the results I am getting with my cleaner wrasse! Any one else have a cleaner wrasse that is having such good luck as I am with mine? What are your experiences with cleaner wrasses?

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Unfortunately, 3 weeks is not long enough to claim success with any fish in an aquarium. If the fish is still doing well after 6 months, then you can claim success. Unfortunately, most cleaner wrasses jump out of tanks before then so make sure you keep your tank covered!

4. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Everything written about cleaner wrasses and neon gobies was somehow mixed up. After seeing dozens of cleaner wrasses and dozens of neon gobies, I can say from experience that cleaner wrasses always eat very well. Neon gobies are extremely hard to get eating and very often die. I don't know how their reputations got switched, but cleaner wrasses are actually quite easy to care for. Sounds like you got a sweet one. I love any animal that cleans my hands while in the tank. It's good for a startle the first few times, but I always learn to love it after awhile.

5. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Glad to hear he's doing so great. :)

I had 1 a few years ago. Never had a problem with him eating. Like you, I mixed a variety of frozen foods. Mine preferred small bits of squid and clam, but also ate mysis, bloodworms, and chopped krill. Had him for over a year before my purple "reef" lobster got him.

6. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Despite three weeks of success, I'd hate to see this thread act as green light of encouragement for people to buy cleaner wrasses.

They are a species best left in the ocean.

Not only do they suffer from poor survivability in closed systems (I can provide plenty of info and source which support this, including reputable names), but the collection of them from wild reefs really puts a strain on the overall health of the reef.

It's a shame they are legal to collect at all.

7. mikejrice

I would enjoy a look at the sources.

8. Click Here!

9. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

If the cleaner wrasse was sooo difficult to keep and feed and usually die within a couple weeks, I wouldn't have had the success I am having so far and he would have died already. personally, I think this guy will live for a long time as long as I keep doing what I'm doing.

10. mikejrice

I wouldn't quite jump to that conclusion from one experience. That would be like saying. My clownfish died in one week, so all clownfish must be hard to keep and die within one week. To come to a conclusion of the hardiness of any fish, you must either do a lot of research and gain your knowledge from others or take care of a lot of that fish. Fish knowledge is very statistical.

1 person likes this.
  11. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Here's the best article I've ever read. Source/Author speaks for itself:
    Labroides

More:
    Bluestreak Cleaner Wrasse, Labroides dimidiatus, Bluestreak Cleaner Wrasse, Common Cleaner Wrasse
    Cleaner Wrasse
    Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse Facts, Information, photos and pictures - Facts, Information, photos and pictures of the Hawaiian Cleaner Wrasse
    Blue Streak Cleaner Wrasse

Technical paper as to their benefit on a wild reef (and therefore, impact if they're collected): PLoS ONE: Long-Term Effects of the Cleaner Fish Labroides dimidiatus on Coral Reef Fish Communities

This one provides a snippet of behavior in the wild; conclusion can be made why one might make a poor aquarium candidate: Zoologger: Patriarchal fish punish powerful females - life - 15 June 2011 - New Scientist

Interesting and informative discussion here (see post #10): Cleaner wrasse

1 person likes this.
  12. mikejrice

I better correct myself now before someone catches me on this. What I was referring to in my first post was only the eating habits of cleaners wrasses vs. neon gobies. Cleaner wrasses may very well be a species that dies after six months due to a nutrition deficiency, and I may have not housed one long enough to see those effects.