Blenny and Goby Compatibility?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by =Jwin=, Jan 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

My friend is getting rid of a Blenny called a Molly Miller Blenny because it has been nipping at his clam's mantle. It's in his Qtank/Nano tank at the moment, and he's either giving it to the LFS, or us if we want him.

However, we have what is known as a Pinkbar Goby, or Aurora Goby, or Shrimp goby. He's in a relationship with my Tiger Pistol. Would the Blenny be compatable with the goby? I've heard that they don't go well together...and I know that these species are pretty uncommon in the SW aquarium world.

I guess answer the basic Blenny/Goby question. But if someone has any knowledge on either of the actual species, please by all means fire away.

Here's some pictures to help you out (not the actual fish, just what the species look like)

Molly Miller Blenny: apparently AKA the Combtooth blenny
    [​IMG]

Pinkbar Goby
    [​IMG]

The Pinkbar Goby is about 4 inches long (fully grown) and the Molly miller is about 2 or 3 inches, if that makes a difference at all. They will be housed in a 46 gallon setup.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

I like that pink bar... very pretty.
    sorry can' t answer your question though.

4. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Yeah he's a pretty awesome goby. He's a little too protective of the shrimp, though :D If I get too close to the glass, he'll stare me down and open his tail so the shrimp can't come out. I back off, he backs off, shrimpy goes digging. We were sketchy about buying him because we had never even heard of one, but man did it pay off!

5. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

I wouldn't think it would be a problem, as long as they each have their own places to sleep and hide. One might be territorial for a while, but I doubt you'd have a problem. Most blenny's are peaceful.

6. fazool666

fazool666 Sea Dragon

Blennies are bi-polar sometimes - i've seen some be totally peaceful with gobies, jawfish, etc. and then the next thing ya know they are attacking them for no apparent reason.

It's worth a shot if your introducing the blenny last IMO but just keep a close eye on the little bastard!

7. bbsbliss

bbsbliss Ritteri Anemone

I have a lawnmower blenny and a diamond goby- they ignore each other. But both were introduced to the tank at the same time, so maybe that makes a difference.

8. Click Here!

9. fazool666

fazool666 Sea Dragon

Thats funny so do I!! diamond goby is a lot larger than the blenny so it's not a problem FOR NOW. I was a little worried when I introduced the algae blenny because I do have 1 barnacle blenny who is a tuff guy but they dont bother each other either (although the barnacle fights with my clown all the time - kind of funny because it is 1/2 the size and he picks the fight).

But like I said had an issue with one (bi-color) in the past and everything was fine until one day he freaked so I had to get rid of him.

10. Triplemom

Triplemom Pajama Cardinal

He'll have to get past that pistol shrimp to get the goby! I don't know sets him off, but I can hear the pistol shrimp "firing" at random times. I guess we could take the blenny on a trial - we can send him back to live in the quarantine tank if he doesn't behave!

Nice picture of a pinkbar, Jwin!

11. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

It should be fine, they are two completely different species. My eyelash blenny is relatively peaceful. Every once in a while he will take a run at another fish. But he has never bitten or anything like that. But for that matter the tang and mandarin are the only two fish I have that have never taken a run at anything ;)

12. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Ok we'll give him a shot. A second chance at a display tank life. My friend had to take him out because he cares about his clam ten times more than he cares about his blenny. If he eats algae, more power to him. That's brownie points right there! :D