Angry jumping circus clown...wt*?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by pavelow360, Sep 16, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. pavelow360

pavelow360 Feather Duster

I have had two clowns in my 16 gallon tank for about 5 months now. I really like the pair of clowns. I have a few other fish in there as well. The tank has come together really well, with the exception of dying inverts. Anyway...I really didn't want to delve in to taking care of an aneneme until I had a lot of knowledge under my belt but last night I came home with an aneneme. I acclimated it to the tank and tried to place it on my rock where I wanted it. My powerhead seems to be pretty strong, so the aneneme would not stay where I wanted it. I finally got it propped up against a rock on the sand in the area where my fish congregate. I really didn't care if my clowns warmed up to it but it would have been cool if they had. The stress level of the tank had sky rocketed; my 3 tiny chromis were scared to death. The two clowns were equally nervous but still inquisitive. The aneneme didn't stay where I had put it, but drifted around behind my rock scape and was wedged between a rock and the tank glass. I didn't want to mess with it anymore and went to bed. So this morning, I got up and turned off the powerhead and put the aneneme on a rock and soon noticed that one of my clowns was gone! Hmmm, I looked to see if he was just hiding because I had my hand in the tank or floating at the top? For a second, I was thinking that he had got eaten, then (since I had my drac goby launch out of his tank a week ago or so) I glanced to start searching for him on the floor. Sure enough, there he was, all dried up on the floor...dumb clown, haven't you seen Finding Nimo?

2. Click Here!

3. fielding12

fielding12 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Sorry for your loss of the clownfish.

Good luck getting your anemone settled and staying healthy. Is the 16 gallon tank perhaps a tad small for the variety and volume of bioload? You know that if the anemone dies, it will release chemicals that will kill the other organisms. If it becomes ill, I suggest a quick quarantine.

I don't want to be a negative person though. Anemones are wonderful creatures and you may find yourself with the knack for keeping them well adjusted.

About the jumping, loss of a dracula goby and clownfish...that hurts. Can you get a glass top for the tank or at least some improved barrier? It may be a good value for your future aquarium budget.

Good luck with it all.

1 person likes this.
  4. pavelow360

I have have a goby in the tank and never really worried about him jumping out. I have considered putting the lid on the tank but have decided against it. I am reconsidering it now. Although, the drac goby that I mentioned in the other tank (that has a lid) found his way out through a 1 inch square on either corner in the back or the slot for the filter.

You know, for some reason, the whole thought of quarantining this aneneme went out the window with this purchase...I guess because it isn't a fish...I am considering taking the aneneme back today though...

Yes, I have read about the fact that anenemes get stressed and do what cucumbers do...I actually told my friend about that (who has alot more experience) and he didn't know that...

I am not concerned about the bioload...other than my fish jumping out, they are healthy and my water parameters are perfect

5. pavelow360

The rest of the story

Actually, let me clarify and add "the rest of the story" I WAS not concerned about the bioload prior to the aneneme and truthfully I did not want to get the aneneme but a certain cute girlfriend of mine who has been pressuring me, influenced the purchase...she loves the clowns and now her obsession with having the aneneme for the clowns has unfortunately back fired :( I can't blame her though, it is my own fault, I knew better...just never thought the clown would jump out of the tank, he was my favorite fish in that tank...:(

Last edited: Sep 16, 2009
  6. fielding12

fielding12 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Please don't think me critical. I've lost a 5 yr old 3 1/2 ft eel who managed to escape my tank with a lid!

Maybe your girlfriend could be convinced to let you try some corals. I've heard that in some cases a clownfish will host a coral. There are lighting parameters to consider but some of the corals work with lower light. You strike me as someone who does a good job of figuring things out and trying new things.

(I've wanted a dracula goby.)

7. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

I hate to say it but I think your tank is too new for an anemone. Your tank should be at least a year old. if you are still losing inverts you need to figure out why. Please take the anemone back to the store before you lose that invert oo.

8. Click Here!

9. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I hate to be the voice against you here but 16 gallons is way way too small for two clowns and a nem. When you say you have other fish on top of that it only worrys me more. To hear you have jumping fish is even worse. Have you been testing water? By the sounds of it they could be trying to escape high ammonia levels. clowns are not typically jumpers so that raises my eyebrow a little.

I also agree with the statement above. Nems need very good stable water conditions which are not always had in a newer tank. Stable conditions are also hard to maintain in a tank that small.

16 gallons with a powerhead in it is also a nem trap. If a nem gets sucked into the intake of your powerhead it will almost surely die and nuke the tank. In such a small tank there cant be much room to get the power head up and out of its reach.

Lastly what kind of lighting do you have on your tank. Nems need very good lighting.

Ok sorry to be so sour. Now for some help. My first advice would be to take it back but if you are set on keeping it here are a few tips that might help you out.

first get a foam cover for the inlet of your power head. This should save your intire tank and inhabitants at some point.

Anemones take a bit to acclimate so its not unusual for it to take awhile for your nem to pick a spot and latch on. My sebae floated around the tank for about a week and I had to fish it from behind the rocks everyday for that week until it finally stayed put.

I would also recomend you remove all fish but the nem and clown. This would be perhapse a decent bio load if you have a good amount of live rock and decent skimmer. Your clown will also get very possessive over the nem if it takes to it and you may have more jumpers due to being chased.

Good luck I hope it works out for you.

10. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

+1 to previous suggestions. 2 clowns and maybe the anemone could work. But 2 clowns and three chromis in a 16 gallon? That is WELL overstocked.
    What kind of lights do you have on the tank?

11. pavelow360

reply within the quote :)

12. pavelow360

Angry jumping clown part 2

Well here we are... I have since put a lid on the tank in question and reduced the amount of fish living in that tank... The only inhabitants were a goby and a replacement clown and one of the original two clowns. I recently (a month or so ago) had a nitrate spike as I had removed all the rock out of that tank to remove a couple tiger snapping shrimp but since performed a couple of water changes and the water tests good for nitrates, nitrites and ammonia.

The replacement clown is the new jumper. I had removed two small pieces of acrylic that were covering corner holes that the lid did not cover and my one clown decided he had enough and made his way out. The tank tests are normal as stated and the fish do not act out of the ordinary (other than carpet surfing). The remaining fish have been in there for over a year now. I have not checked for stray voltage but plan on doing so as soon as I can. I have never checked for this because there is no apparent illness on the fish or CUC in the tank. There is also no sign when I touch the tank or put my hand inside.

All I can attribute the clown jumping is to they carrying on in the tank and the fact that it is not the ocean but a simulated living space that just happens to be surrounded by dry space and a hard floor down below. Sigh