Algae Grazer?

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by mdbostwick, Apr 20, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

So I am trying to plan out fish for my 55g. I plan on having a lot of sps, lps, and zoas so reef safe is a must. Right now I have 2 mocha clowns, and i think the next thing i want will be a small fish that will graze on the algae in my DT. I have about 100lbs of LR so plenty of growing space but i want to make sure he won't be able to wipe the tank clean too fast and then starve.

So i am looking for suggestions and hopefully not anything that is super rare or anything. Thank you in advance.

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

blennies are pretty cool and an algae blenny would be perfect. You'll need to be cautious with it though - hopefully you can find one that will eat other prepared food.

4. mdbostwick

A Blenny was my first thought but I had heard they eat like crazy and not sure if i would end up starving one if they didn't want prepared food.

Are some Blennies better at not pigging out than others?

5. oldfishkeeper

in terms of algae I'm not sure md :(

6. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Personally, I don't think a 55g will produce enough algae for any fish that is strictly herbivorous. You may do better to stick with snails for cleaning up. There are plenty of omnivores (including some blennies) that may nibble on fresh algae, but also do much better with prepared food.

7. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

I would avoid herbivorous Blennies like Lawnmower or Starry. I had a Lawnmower starve in my 55 unfortunately. However omnivorous Blennies in the Escenius genus would do well! Tailspot and similar will graze all day, but eat prepared foods with gusto as well. Midas Blennies won't touch algae, though they do add an awesome splash of yellow :)

8. Click Here!

9. oldfishkeeper

tailspots are also cute

10. mdbostwick

So I am looking at some type of blenny? No other omnivores that will pick at the algae?

11. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Well yes, there are; however, when you narrow down the list to what's suitable for your tank size, reef-safe, and relatively peaceful, a blenny would be an excellent choice. I have kept dwarf angels in a 55g reef with no problems, but that's not been everyone's experience.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014