Aggressive Clownfish

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by Unknown4ce, May 4, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Unknown4ce

Unknown4ce Plankton

It seems like my clownfish is being too aggressive with my anemone.

I have had my clownfish for 8 months, and i just added my green carpet anemone, and ever since i put the anemone in the tank, the clown fish has been thrashing in him.

Will my clownfish calm down? Could my clownfish kill my anemone? Should i remove my clownfish?

Will keeping clown away from anemone by putting the net by it, or making something to cover the anemone so he can acclimate just make the clown fish more rough with it?

Last edited: May 4, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. highdesertreef

highdesertreef Flamingo Tongue

They could be aggresivly hosting. Do you know if they were wild caught or tank raised clowns. They could kill it if your not careful. Not sure what you can do to help other than moving one or the other to another tank.

4. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

yes it could stress it to death. i think it will eventually calm down if the anemone makes it that long, i would worry if the anemone is small for the clown. children always play with there toys the most right after they acquire them.(but i wouldnt expect you clown to leave you anemone except at feeding time from now on)

thats your call, id rather have a clown then a anemone in my tank.

everybody wants a anemone, i dont think there any fun at all:p

5. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

I've a buddy whose carpet anemone ate his maroon clown... seriously.

6. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

yes carpets will catch fish, and if the clown doesnt lather itself up with anemone slime enough the anemone will sting and eat it.

7. Unknown4ce

Unknown4ce Plankton

I am starting to think that he is from the wild, he tried to host the bubble coral and was aggressive with that as well. He did eventually calm down. My clown is about 2 1/2 inches long, and my carpet is about 6-8 inches round. It is hard to tell right now. Any ideas on how to catch the clown? I tried a diy fish trap, but no luck.

8. Click Here!

9. Unknown4ce

Unknown4ce Plankton

will keeping my clown away from anemone for a few days just make the problem worse?

10. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

i dont see how it will, it may just be prolonging the enivitable. although im sure you anemone will have a better chance once it aclimates to your tank.

11. Unknown4ce

Unknown4ce Plankton

Thank you sostoudt. The anemone has been in the tank 3 days looks great so far even ate a piece of krill yesterday. Just dont want to make its chances of survival worse in anyway.