55g "Show Fish"

Discussion in 'Tropical Fish' started by QuackAddict, Apr 23, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. QuackAddict

QuackAddict Astrea Snail

I was just curious as to what are the opinions/ thoughts out there on an eye-catching show fish for a 55g reef tank. Current fish are 1 black ocellaris (hopefully another soon), 1 sixline wrasse, 1 lawnmower blenny, and 1 royal gramma. There are various snail species, several hermit crabs, emerald crabs and a cleaner shrimp also. The only coral currently in there is a BTA, we are slowly looking at more, possibly Xenia? My dad, brother and I are new to the hobby but are fast learners, we have had a few costly mistakes already and learned from them! Thanks for the input!

2. Click Here!

3. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

To be honest, I dont think you can do a "show fish". A 55 is pretty small in comparison when you are talking show fish. You might be able to add another wrasse, but I dont know if it would get along with your six line. Someone else will have to chime in. I had a midas blenny that's very colorful in my 55. My fish include the blenny, engineering goby, 2 b/w clowns, and that was it.

4. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

chances are that 6 line will be an issue. I would look at helfrichi firefish, or a swissgaurd basslet. Those are both pretty striking fish but the aggression of the 6sixline would be an issue.

5. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

6. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

7. Ballgame

Ballgame Millepora

8. Click Here!

9. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Angels and Clams don't mix well.;)
    I think your tank is little small for an Angel with your other fish.How about a couple yellow tail damsels??They are very active colorfull fish that do well in small community tanks.8)

10. Mrhighline

Mrhighline Fire Shrimp

Angels and clams are a no go ... what about a smaller flasher/fairy wrasse?

11. QuackAddict

QuackAddict Astrea Snail

This is great input, maybe I should steer in the direction of a bunch of smaller fish,would blue reef chromis's work? Huh, never thought about a clam! What kind of things do they require?

12. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

I think the point is not "a bunch" of anything in this tank. Go with a flasher wrasse and call it a day.