PAR Tests on Lamps and Fixtures

Discussion in 'T5 Aquarium Lighting' started by Dr.Fragenstein, Jun 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Dr.Fragenstein

Dr.Fragenstein Panda Puffer

So over the last couple weeks I have be compiling results from various fixtures....
    My goal was to get more numbers before I posted them but the info is not helping anyone if its in my 3ring binder. Also the prodding from certain members also influenced me.

I will skip the details of the tests unless someone asks.
    I used an Apogee Quantum meter on the Electric setting as compared to the SUN setting.

The first test here, the Tek 4 lamp vs Tek 6 lamp vs Tx5
    All the lamps were the EXACT same age, ran for the same time exactly and all had the same lamps, Giesemann Aquablue and Actinic+
    All tests were down in AIR to prevent any variables water can cause such as clarity and turbulence.

Ok, enough, down to the numbers...

Tek 4 Lamp
    215---320---195
    325---491---300
    174---263---170

Tek 6 Lamp
    355---492---290
    388---600---369
    293---405---244

TX5 with Shield
    159---254---151
    226---359---206
    126---201---115

Tx5 without Shield
    175---293---173
    251---402---245
    149---229---132

Just for fun I also tested a 130watt PC over a 29 gal, Fixture right on tank, NO legs!!
    First test had about 12mo old lamps
    Bottom of tank-45uMol
    Middle-80 uMol
    Right under water 149 uMol

Here is with BRAND new lamps
    Bottom-96uMol
    Middle-188uMol
    Top-358uMol

So, PC guys CHANGE YOUR LAMPS!!! FREQUENTLY!!

More to come as I test them!

Last edited: Jun 6, 2009
    2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. reefraf

reefraf Astrea Snail

Awesome Job! very helpful to me as I am still in search of a good T5 setup!

4. Dr.Fragenstein

Thank you! I will post more as I go... Next up is a Current Nova Extreme Pro

1 person likes this.
  5. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

did the pc fixture have a sheild? surprisinly close to the TX5...
    What are the difference in ballasts between all T5 fixtures?
    Could you also explain your 9 point grids?

1 person likes this.
  6. Dr.Fragenstein

Bogie,
    The PC DID have the shield on.... I tested THAT fixture in water to show to PC guys what they were REALLY getting as far as levels.
    I believe they are all on universal ballasts now. I will check again in the morning.

The grid is set up as this....
    I made a grid set up at 7" between the light probe and the tip of the SLRs. OR 8" from bottom of fixture to tank top.

I did one point dead center from side to side and also front to back of EACH fixture, so essentially DEAD CENTER.
    I then did a point 3.5" from back of fixture and front of fixture along the center axis.
    I then did 2 points 4" from the end of each fixture, then I did 2 more points 3.5" from the front and back of the fixture but along the end axis... Not sure if that makes sense but it looked like this

4" Center 4"
    ----0------0------0----

----0------0------0----

----0------0------0----

Does that help?

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

interesting thread

you say all the lamps tested in T5 where Geisseman, are they 80 watts the same as you use on your reef? it doesnt say above, well if it does I missed it

Steve

8. Click Here!

9. Dr.Fragenstein

Oh Steve, thanks for reminding me.

The Tek 4,6 lamp as well as the TX5 are all 36" fixtures so the lamps are 39watt lamps.
    I was thinking about somehow throwing my results up here but I can't imagine the retro numbers being too useful.

My goal as soon as I can accomplish it is to test the lamps individually, like Grim Reefer did, years ago. I want to see how much as changed, and well frankly I like to do things myself.

Thanks

10. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Excellent job......will keep posted. I like the numbers game. Karma in a major way. Thanks man. Subscribed.

11. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Could you also please post the new bulb PC fixture par values without the sheild and in air, not water, so the conditions are comparable?
    Also, the PC fixture is only 130 watts, vs. the 4, 5 and 6 bulb T5s being 156w, 195w and 234w, respectively.
    It seems like the PC fixture may be closer in par per watt values to the T5 fixtures than we thought originally.
    Also, were the TEK fixtures T5 or T5HO overdriven?

12. Screwtape

Screwtape Tonozukai Fairy Wrasse

Interesting tests.

Are your test results taken immediately after turning the fixture on or at the same time frame after being turned on?

Maybe this is outside the scope of what you want to do but I think it would be interesting to see how PAR is affected the longer the fixture has been on since the temperature of the bulbs should affect the PAR. I believe the TX5 has fans (or at least one) and Tek doesn't I wonder if that changes anything after they've all been running for an hour or so. Even just a center reading on each over the course of an hour just to get an idea if it fluctuates.

1 person likes this.