Rose millepora ?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by fays88, Mar 16, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fays88

fays88 Spaghetti Worm

Hey guys, picked up a nice colony of rose millepora... Are those sps normally have it's polyps out all the time? Coz mine is not out and it's been in my tank for few hours?
    Thanx
    Frank

2. Click Here!

3. fays88

fays88 Spaghetti Worm

Temp: 26 Celsius
    Ph: 8
    Cal:380
    Nitrate: 5
    Phosphate: <5

4. macon77

macon77 Fire Worm

I am absolutely not an SPS fan. However, I do happen to have a small ORA Rose Mil. frag.

I would not be concerned about the polyps not being out immediately, or all of the time, for that matter.

You might also expect a bit of color change over the next few (weeks to months, perhaps)?

I might investigate your water parameters, though. Particularly the phosphates. That value is not exactly well-defined.

5. fays88

fays88 Spaghetti Worm

Thanks mate... Appreciate the reply...if you don't mind me asking what light is your coral under? I meant t5 or halide? And Kelvin?

6. macon77

macon77 Fire Worm

I certainly have no issue in telling you, but my systems are not exactly built for SPS corals, and they are anything but typical. So, I don't know that my tanks are very good "examples." Anyway, here are some of the details:

I built quite a few propogation tanks, mostly for mushrooms. Well, almost exclusively for mushrooms. So, most are 4" deep lagoons, with low current, and minimal lighting. I have one tank that I keep leathers in, with a bit more current and light, and there just happen to be a few SPS corals in there (this tank is connected to three others, via trickle-down plumbing). I am trying to get rid of the rest of the SPS, but still have a few. The tank they are in is 8" deep, and has two t5's over it (1 aquablue+ and 1 super actinic). Again, this isn't necessarily ideal for SPS corals. But, there you have it.

7. fays88

fays88 Spaghetti Worm

Awwk kool.. Fair enough thanks for the info macon77...

8. Click Here!

9. macon77

macon77 Fire Worm

No issue at all. All in fun, my friend.

Perhaps I'll set up an SPS tank one day. I just seem to be too addicted to mushrooms, which is where all of my money and time seem to go.

10. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Very normal not to see polyps for a few days to weeks. I would definitely look into getting your phosphate below .05.