Polyp extension on sps

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by nightster, Mar 13, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nightster

nightster Pajama Cardinal

Im wondering how long it took for new sps frags to show polyp extension? Mine has been in the tank for 2-3 weeks and I don't have polyp extension like I see on other sps corals on 3reef or at my lfs. I will post params later, usually are within check. I haven't seen pe at all since I put it in. I light acclimated it for a week and a half.

2. Click Here!

3. sostoudt

sostoudt Giant Squid

depends on the coral some coral don't have very big polyps. but usually you can tell when they aren't open at all.

4. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

have you checked the tank at night, nighster?

some of the corals are from a different time zone and they take a while to adjust to a new time zone

Flick the actinics back on in the early hours of the morning tomorrow
    and you might be sursprised

Steve

1 person likes this.
  5. nightster

Well I've looked at night, but not with actinics. I didn't see any pe at night. Maybe I didn't look at the right time.

6. nightster

It has looked like this since I put it in.

Attached Files:

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

As everyone already posted it really depends on the type of sps. An Acropora Tortousa will show very little, a Millepora will be much fuller in appearance. And the time of at which you look.

Flow also affects the PE of my sps greatly. If I am not seeing any PE or diminished PE I play around with flow and wait and check again the next day.

Unfortunately Red Bugs can also cause diminished PE as well as fish nipping the coral even occasionally.

A image during the lighting period and one with flash with lights out may help to see if there is an actual issue.

Oh thanks for the picture. Let me check on an ID. IMO smooth skinned acropora do not show a lot of PE for the most part, but you should being seeing some by now.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

nightster

I can see PE in the image
    its not massive, but as stated by others, not all SPS have really long polyps
    some of mine for example you have to use macro mode on camera to capture them
    whilst others are visible from across the room

Steve

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

It looks like a Acropora Nana to me. Google images of Acropora Nana, while I do not own one the ones I have seen do not display long PE.

11. nightster

I googled it and didn't see any with long pe, some had some pe but nothing major. Thanks yall