Monti Frag

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by mudguard2005, Aug 14, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mudguard2005

mudguard2005 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I bought a monti frag from an LFS. Should I put the frag disc and putty it to my live rock or should i take out the monti from the frag and putty it to the live rock? How do you guys ususally do it? Help. Thanks for your help.

One more question, how fast do they grow?

2. Click Here!

3. jptrson

jptrson Feather Duster

Monti eating nudis!
    [​IMG]
    If i were you I'd quarantine , these are less than an 1/8 inch long.
    Eggs are 1/10 the size!

4. Frizza

Frizza Coral Banded Shrimp

I made the mistake of using putty to stick one of my frags and it caused a lot of damage to the coral, see my thread http://www.3reef.com/forums/coral/monti-problem-47282.html for more information.

I had to break it up and re-stick it with super glue and one of the pieces survived.

Good luck.

5. gazog

gazog Kole Tang

First, always quarantine all new corals or fish. after dipping to remove any parasites.

second never use epoxy putty directly on a live coral. It gets very hot due to the curing process and will kill any live corals.
    Only use epoxy on directly on corals like hammer, candy cane, frogspawn or as a smooth gluing base for super glue. I do put
    epoxy on the rock then glue the coral to the epoxy with super glue. its easier than trying to glue the coral directly to the rock

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

QT, QT, QT...and if I did not say it QT!!!!
    Just lost my monti to nudi...did not QT. Now I will not be able to have another Monti in my tank for at least 18 months, yes, 18 months is conservative from some articles I have read!
    Please read the COTM thread for Aug...sadly I wrote it...a couple days before all heck broke loose and the eggs must have hatched. I guess the place I got it from treated for nudi but eggs are impossible to get rid of. I have a very small piece in QT now that I am trying to save, but it does not look good.

7. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

they grow fast. Use super glue on it to attach it. THEN QT IT

8. Click Here!

9. mudguard2005

mudguard2005 Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

thanks for the input guys. I did dip it in the reef dip before I put it in. I inspected the monti thoroughly since it's only a size of 1/2 dollar coin. I know I am taking a risk, but I am really scared about getting all these pests. I need some suggestion on what you need for coral QT tank. I have an extra tank, but how about the lighting? I don't have extra lights for the Coral QT. Fish don't need lights so it's ok. Any suggestion on how long or what type of setup for corals?

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

easy, bare bottom tank, so you can clean it out between QT, a filter of some kind..many use carbon and skimmer, but article I read suggested none of that unless you are trying to remove medicine. I just use a sponge filter that I have seaded the sponge in my sump for a couple weeks so it has a good bacteria growth on it. A heater and a cheap light source. I have a day light light that is a desk lamp that I have away from the tank...corals can go some time without a lot of light...you just have to acclimate them to the light when you put them back into the tank.

For fish I put some PVC tubing in there for them to hide in.

But I just use the same process at this.
    Reef Frontiers
    I am bad about it as you can tell...I got burned really, really bad so I will follow this to the tee now. I am bad about QT fish also and am battling flukes in my display tank. So it is easier to preach to the choir then to do, but like I said I now have my QT tanks ready to go. Plus I have got a lot of my info from a friend, and it is easier to follow once you get burned!

11. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Super glue gel.....

12. reeflover1

reeflover1 Plankton

I maybe in the wrong forum for this ?, how big should i let a frogspawn frag get before sell/trade it is about the size of a 50cent piece/ also same ? for greenpolyp devils hand right now about the sixe of you pinky finger any help would be great.