Anything I Should now about SPS

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by redsea, Feb 19, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. redsea

redsea Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Hello everyone,

Eventually I would like to purchase some SPS, but know little about them. Is there anything particular that I should know before I buy them? Tips, tricks, hints?

Thank you everyone!:wave:

2. Click Here!

3. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

Hot Tips: SPS Selection and Care Tips — Advanced Aquarist | Aquarist Magazine and Blog

There are some good tips here.

In my experience, high flow, moderate to high light and stability are all key. When I say stability I mean mostly in the "big 3." Meaning Magnesium, Calcium, and Alkalinity. SPS have the tendency to brown out in high nitrate environments. If you are about to take the plunge into SPS I would recommend trying out with some birdsnest. (Seriatopora) They are very hardy and many are colorful. If this coral is growing well for you then maybe you could try some more demanding corals like Acropora sp.

4. redsea

Thanks for the advice!

5. norg.

norg. Kole Tang

No problem! Another thing is, try to keep your parameters around 420-450 ppm calcium, 1200-1400 ppm magnesium, and 8-10 dkh alkalinity. There can be some leeway on these numbers but stability is key when you are trying to keep your SPS healthy. What brand salt do you use? Also, do you test for "the big 3" often?

6. needmorecowbell

needmorecowbell Torch Coral

Very helpful. Should I feed them? Also, what are some good 2 parts?

7. redsea

Thanks, I use regular Instant Ocean salt.

8. Click Here!

9. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

Nutrients-
    So unless you have a lot of LPS, your tank is probably not using too much Ca, Alk, and Mag. For a long time, I was able to get around dosing by just doing frequent water changes with Reef Crystals. This will replenish those nutrients. Eventually, my SPS became much larger, and are now using way more of these nutrients. It was either daily wc's or dosing. I started dosing about two weeks ago. You want good test kits. I recommend salifert for these three. Cheaper test kits are sufficient for everything else.

Dosing-
    Research dosing using the 2 part method. Honestly, I don't know why they call it two part. There are three parts. However, the purpose is to increase calcium and alkalinity. The magnesium just prevents those two from binding in the water and precipitating out. The corals take up these two separately and put them together to build their calcium carbonate skeleton.

Pests-
    If you are planning on getting acro's, watch out for red bugs. If you are getting montipora, watch out for nudibranches.

Diseases-
    If you see death, including burns from other corals... Before you do anything, before you start a thread, before you figure out the cause, frag it. Cut about 1/4 inch into the healthy tissue. This is impt because it often spreads. Sometimes very quickly (like with RTN).

Lighting-
    Most like high light. If it starts to turn brown, either move it down or shade it. Same goes for it turning white all over. If it is only white in one spot, frag it as above.

That info should give you a good starting point. Research research research. Good luck!

10. gabbyr189

gabbyr189 Bubble Tip Anemone

Change to instant ocean reef crystals. Then test to see if you need to dose. Reef crystals has more Calcium, Alk, and Mag.

11. redsea

Cool, thanks!

I never knew that before, that makes a lot of sense! Thank you!

12. redsea

Very informative, thank you!