55 gallon SPS reef- new additions (12/18/14)

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Kevin_E, Jun 26, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

How long can it take for sps to color up, generally?

I haven't noticed anything positive in that regard since stabilizing my system 6-7 weeks back. I was dosing amino acids, but stopped after not seeing any improvement and fear of nutrient issues. Phosphate is extremely low (.003 ppm) and my other parameters seem spot on ( calc 430, alk 3.6, mag 1380, SG 1.026, nitrate 0, pH 8.2). temperature fluctuates 1-2 degrees a day. Light cycle is 9 hours (light spec in signature below). Everything is stable and has been for 6-7 weeks now.

Do sps typically begin to color up after establishing a strong base first? I'm seeing rapid encrusting right now, do that's good.

I havent had any coraline growing in months. I wonder if that issue is related somehow?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  2. Click Here!

3. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

Its probably because you use meq/L to measure Alkalinity and your acros hate metric.

In all seriousness go back to the amino acids and let your po4 climb a little bit. .01-.03 is the range shot for by many SPS aquarist and this can actually be maintained much high. Pale coloration comes from have to few nutrients and/or too much light.

4. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Haha you had me going for a minute.

Interesting point on the phosphate. I wonder how I can get that up a bit. I only have 1 fish.

I have been leaning towards too much light. I raised it 2 inches. Its 11 inches above the water, but it still may be too much. Maybe I should install a piece of screen? Or would that be too much reduction?

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Twenty gallon tank with 250 watt MH? Yeah that might be a tad over kill, but I do not believe you can give a Acropora too much MH once they're acclimated to MH, unless heat becomes an issue. I tend to agree with Alex up your nutrients some.

What types of SPS?

In my experience it can takes weeks to see color improvement.

6. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Yeah it is overkill. No question. The temperature ranges between 77-79, that's it. The coral aren't bleached, just bland. Monti cap are pink, not deep red and my acros are brownish. I light acclinated everything of 7 weeks, but no sign of color.

How would I up the nutrients in a controlled manner?

Would you advice against adding a screen?

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I would feed the corals.

Rod's foods always worked well for me. Even if you have just one fish use some Rod's 3 times a week. Or try Reef Chili, any one of a number of good foods. Just keep monitoring the phos and nitrate level.

Yeah you might be blasting the Montipora but I do not see the acropora having issue with the lighting. I would not put a screen on, in fact I would love to blast my tank with the much light.

Pale or brown with a low phosphate sounds like a starving coral to me.

Personally I am not an Amino Acid fan, I had nothing but problems with those products, as in algae issues, that is not to say some people get good results.

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Thanks. That's interesting. I was always under the impression that the lower the phosphate the better. Similarly, I always thought corals would get enough energy from light.

I guess that's not 100% accurate.

10. ingtar_shinowa

My ideals levels are .03 po4 and 2 nitrates. You can get a good fine particulate food like Reef Chili, Coral Frenzy, or Rods Coral Food as well as the aminos. I mean you can just add a little more food and you will see those numbers rise, and if it gets too much cut back.

Alternately you could more fish but thats far less controlable if you want to back off.

11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I've tried adding fish, but my clown kills them. My cleanup crew gets to the excess food almost instantly lol.

I guess I'll try some rods or reef chili. Do you target or broadcast feed? How often.

Can't believe my issue is too much cleanliness.

12. ingtar_shinowa

i soak the powdered stuff in selcon and tank water and shoot it around my frags