Yellow Toadstool Coral care?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by eddy38, Mar 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. eddy38

eddy38 Spaghetti Worm

I just saw a great looking Yello Toadstool leather coral at my LFS. I came home and read up on it and it says it can be difficult to keep. Does anyone have any experience with these and advice they can pass on.
    It is about 3" tall and I can get it for $40... Is that a good price?

2. Click Here!

3. divott

divott Giant Squid

i couldnt find anything that specifically mentions a yellow toadstool. al lthe toadstools ive seen, and i have one, are quite easy to care for. basically plug and play. ive got mine on the bottom under t5's and its flourioshing. they dont need to be target fed. so maybe the one you saw wasnt a toadstool.

4. MoJoe

MoJoe Dragon Wrasse

Toadstools aren't difficult to keep, that's a good price for the size you mention. I just got a free TS from my LFS. Depending on your lights, I would put it in a decent flow area, mid-flow & mid-depth in the tank. If your water params & lighting are fine the TS will be fine.

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Figi yellows are a royal pain. A regular sarcophyton could withstand a nuclear blast....yelllow fiji's can't even handle you sneezing in the other room.

Seriously though....here's some practical advice. Don't touch the coral itself ever. Only touch the rock it's on. Don't try and frag it...it will die.

6. eddy38

eddy38 Spaghetti Worm

Thanks, I might give it a try.

7. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

Fiji yellow and a yellow toadstool are 2 different corals. I have had both aqnd yes, the fiji yellow is a royal pain to keep happy but is one of the most beautifull softies out there. They look nearly identacle closed up, but when open the yellow toadstool is more or a light peach color with long polyps and a pretty tall base. The fiji yellow has more nubby polyps, usually brighter yellow coloration, a thinner mantle, and a shorter stock.

If it is a fiji yellow your looking at, they make great indicators for sps reefs of when your water quality starts to slip. A yellow toadstool should be more tolerant of less than perfect water conditions but mine needs some pretty strong flow to stay happy.

~Will.

8. Click Here!

9. divott

divott Giant Squid

just googled fiji yellow. cool coral for sure. by sayin not to touch the tissue , is that more for the coral health than ours?

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

For some reason, they tend to get bacterial infections where you touch them and will get this real nasty black necrosis.