Soft Corals....

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Wrassman, Mar 14, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Wrassman

Wrassman Peppermint Shrimp

I guess my favorite corals are the leather corals.  I usually have several in my tank at any given time.  I grow them, frag them, trade them, give them to friends.  I just do very well with leathers, and since I do, I keep more of them that anything else.

Right now, I have a fairly large toadstool.  I've had a little over a year, and he has grown significantly since then.

One point of interest, if you've never grown leather corals, they do "shed" a layer of dead skin every week or every couple of weeks.  This is absolutely normal, and is the way these corals grow.  You can help facilitate matters by aiming a small powerhead at them to help blow the skin away (not too strong though).  You don't really need to remove the skin as it will be eaten quickly by fish, shrimp, and your clean up crew.

Here's a pic of my toadstool from about a month ago:

[​IMG]
    Hope you liked it!! [smiley=wave.gif]
    Edit: Fixed a couple of problems, and added color.

2. Click Here!

3. Wrassman

Well, my favorites might be leathers, but I also have other soft corals. For instance, I have this colt coral.
    [​IMG]

I've had this colt so long, I don't remember when I got it. It was some time in the two years I've had this tank set up. ;D

I have 'fragged' it several times (4 times total). And it is still going strong. It isn't the largest coral in the tank anymore, that would be my toadstool, or my encrusting gorgonian, but it is still growing, so give it time. I'm sure it will be too big very soon, and I'll just have to 'frag' it again. ;D

Hope you liked it!!! [smiley=wave.gif]

4. CheckMateKingll

CheckMateKingll Feather Duster

I like, I like, [smiley=wave.gif] [smiley=thumbs_up1.gif] [smiley=thumbs_up1.gif] [smiley=thumbs_up.gif]

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

6. Wrassman

[glow=Brown, 2, 80%]My "Finger Leather" has always intrigued me, since it has that "cabbage-patch" look about it. [smiley=biglaugh.gif] But, in the past month or so, all of my corals, all of my fish, everything in my tank, has taken on new color, and vibrance.

This "Finger Leather" is no exception. Here is a pic from today:[/glow]
    [​IMG]

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Cool. 8)

I was about to send you a PM about your new gallery pics, but then I saw this.

Awesome pics! Everything looks great!

[smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

8. Click Here!

9. Wrassman

[glow=Teal, 2, 90%]Thank you Matt!!! I'm very excited about how everything looks. I've never had such deep, rich colors before... [smiley=thumbs_up.gif][/glow]

10. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

You got it. Looks great! Glad to hear things are improving.

[smiley=thumbs_up1.gif] [smiley=smokin.gif]

11. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Sounds like the critters in your tank are benefitting from the Mr. Gadget syndrome, eh?

12. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Great softies Wrass, You sure do have variety in your tank. And to have everything looking so good. That's why you'da man.

Jason

Thought I'd add to the softie pics how you don't mind

Attached Files: