Leather Coral Issues....

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by APC, Jun 17, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. APC

APC Gigas Clam

Got a question for you…

Do soft corals bleach? Over the past couple of days, I am starting to lose some of my leather corals…even the ones that are 2 years old. I lost the devils hand leather, and it looks like the toadstools are on their way out. Also the sinularia.

The shrooms, zoos, xenia, green star polyps, and my fish look fine. The water tests out great.

I am noticing that the leather corals are looking kind of white, and they are crusty. Almost like a hard coral that is bleached. Can the same thing happen to them?

Also, assuming the answer is yes, is temperature the issue? I have not had this problem in the past before, but we are in a new house, and my office gets a little warmer then the old one did. I have noticed the tank temperature up in around 83 and 84.

Anything else I should be looking for?

Assuming temp is the issue, are there more temperature tolerant corals I should be leaning towards? A chiller is not an option at this time…my wife complains about the noise of the tank as it is…I think a chiller would put her over the edge 

2. Click Here!

3. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

How 'bout a fan above the tank? A small clip on would do the job, just make sure it doesn't have a chance to fall in? Do you have covers/lids? Pics if you have them. :)

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

APC, try using a fan for evaporational cooling...works wonders and is alot cheaper...
    Are you dosing with iodine?
    Octocorals can bleach as they also contain zooxanthellae, though the black band disease and tissue necrosis is going to be more prevalent in soft corals IMO!
    Remember that leathers will slough from time to time as well! A way to rid algae and detritus accumulation on them!

5. APC

APC Gigas Clam

I have a fan running on it...might need another one.

I am using Iodine..but in minimal amounts....very minimal.

These are definitly croaking...this is not like the usual shedding I have seen them do from time to time. They are literally rotting away and leaving a white, hard residue behind.

Neve seen anything like it...there is nothing new in the tank...so I dont know what to make of it. It is defintely only hitting the leather corals though....very strange

6. MDeth

MDeth Feather Star

Do you have a test kit for Iodine? You should get a kit for anything you add :)
    Like CR said, leathers can be weird and wither away for short periods of time.
    For now, I'd just make sure water params are excellent, and try to keep temps more stable as mentioned above.

People think chillers are hype...I'm about to buy one myself. I'll let you know how it works for me :)

7. APC

APC Gigas Clam

I just added another fan to the top of my tank...blowing across the top. Also adjusted one of my returns to aggitate the water surface a little more. So far, today, and it is hot here in Atlanta even with the A/C on, my tank is holding steady at 80 with the Halides on. So that is a 4 degree improvement. One of my leathers looks like it is bouncing back...the other Im not sure about...I will keep you posted

8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Do a big water change, followed by a couple small ones...there is something in that water that you probably cannot test for.