leather coral

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by greek machine, Dec 15, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. greek machine

greek machine Plankton

2 black tips on leather coral with stringy substance hanging from it and dislodging at times.Purchased 3 weeks ago and have yet to see it open up.Parameters good everything else thriving in the tank.Should I be concerned or do something,or is this part of a molting process?:-[

2. Click Here!

3. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

It's just shedding its skin because it's growing. Mine is doing the same thing right now! So don't worry about it.

4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

:-/ Leathers can be tricky corals. While usually quite hardy, they did much better for me once tank matured a bit.

Move it to better flow area or just to different place in tank.

If a Kenya Tree, mine often close up for 2/3 days...but never for longer then that.

Also would do quick/significant water change in case something in tank coral does not like.

Good Luck.

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Yes, periodically Octocorals will develop a mucus coat! This is their way of riding algae, parasites, detritus or sediment buildup to afford them a healthier environment. Intense lighting and moderate water flow is ideal for sinularia, lobophytum and sarcophyton species especially!

6. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Kinda like molting.. Mine did it all the time....

7. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

The same here! Everything changed after placing it in the dricet flow from my koralia 2 pump!

8. Click Here!

9. greek machine

greek machine Plankton

Just finished with a 10% water change,and within an hour the leather coral has doubled in size,what appears to be goose bumps on it and their is only one black tip on it and no stringy mucus,weird. Must of been something in the water?Thanks everyone for the help..

10. Brandon1023

Brandon1023 Fire Goby

.....That's because it did what I told you it was doing...GROWING! Leathers shed their skin just like snakes when they get bigger. Nothing was wrong, nature was taking it's course. Congrats!

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I would be concerned about black tips on a leather coral. I would cut the black piece off with a sharp razor blade or knife and give the coral an iodine dip before you put the coral back in the tank.

12. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

I have found that my leather corals are a good indicator of when I need to do a water change.

When I get lazy and don't change on schedule - which I do miss once in a while - :-/

I notice all my leathers starting to shrink and get wilty...

Do water change and they all perk up just fine.