How do you care for your Acan?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by JBL, Mar 14, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JBL

JBL Sea Dragon

I just can't seem to keep one alive in my tank! Or Xenia's for that matter either. Everything else is great and growing. Leathers, GSP, Purple tipped hammer, torch coral, Zoa's, And my clown's anenome has grown a lot! Been in there for about 8 months.
    I have 3x150hqis, 8 actnics, and moons on a aquaticlife fixture. All parms in check, so, my question is:
    How do you care for yours and where do you have it placed? (closer or lower from the light)

2. Click Here!

3. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

I have mine under a 4x54 T5HO odyssea fixture, about 13-14" away from the light and I spot feed mysis twice a week

4. saints fan 420

saints fan 420 Expensive Colorful Sticks

i have mine everywhere, all different flows and lighting levels..under 250 halide and 78w of t5, i get about 3 small heads a month

5. Los1980

Los1980 Purple Spiny Lobster

keep mine under 36in marineland LED's I finally saw growth after 2 1/2 months. It was burned by my lobo and the head is almost fully recovered after a month. (spot feed once/twice a week)

6. seabass1

seabass1 Montipora Digitata

On the bottom off the sand, under 2-150's with 2-96w PC's, mod flow, hand feed krill or chopped squid/mysis twice a week.

Good Luck.

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

I have 4 colonies

3 are on lowest tier of rockwork, which put them about 16 inches from T5 lighting
    and last one is on a small flat rock on Sand bed so 21 inches below light fixture
    feed weekly and not all heads get food each week in all honesty (I try but my fish, shrimps and hermits, seem to disagree about whose food it is)

all doing OK at present

Steve

8. Click Here!

9. timm

timm Plankton

I have mine at the bottom of tank about an inch and 1/2 from substrate. The probably get the least amount of flow, but still adequate since i have 2 mp40s on an 80 inch tank (either side). dont shade them from light however keep them lower and out of direct flow. they like a good night time/day time schedule. as long as your nitrates are close to 0 you should be fine. i dont supplement feed them at all.

10. JBL

JBL Sea Dragon

Maybe I keep them too close to the light then. About 3/4 the way up. I had tried to spot feed them with mysis and some filter feeder formula I got from John at reefcleaners. Its just so weird how I can keep other things and not them?
    I even had a long tube anenome for over a year until he got sucked into the overflow when I was on vacation 5 months ago. It was sad, but at least the tank wasn't nuked! I was lucky.
    Thanks all for your responses!