Green Star Polls question

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by new2salt2, Feb 19, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

Well i finally did it and bought me a coral.  I have a 50 gal tank with a 65W PC light 2 bulbs.  I went to the LFS and told them my setup and that i have live rock near the  top of my tank and wanted a solid hardy coral.  They sold me a star pollup.   Not that i dont trust my LFS, but is this a good starter pollup?  can i expect it to grow and multiply?  any suggestions for another coral?  the pet store told my that my lighting was more than sufficiant becasue that is what he was running as well, but they didnt offer much advise on how to continue to care for it.

2. Click Here!

3. tdevil

tdevil Feather Duster

well, green star polyps are a great first coral, i usually dont recomend them because the will grow and spread pretty fast, but they are a good coral, and i do like the color

as for other corals, most types of softies will do, leathers, shrooms, zoanthids (zoanthids will do better under more light, but will be ok under yours)

HTH

td

4. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

can you post a pic of each type? which softies are zoanthids and which are not?

5. tdevil

tdevil Feather Duster

well, my friend, i dont have any shrooms, but if you want to see some zoo's i can be more than willing to help ;) thses pics were taken a few months ago, so my tank loks a bit diff now ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this is a pic of my leather and zoanthids, the leather came from a friends tank that had busted, it is recovering very well

[​IMG]

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

7. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

ok.. so i can raise the leathers with 2 65W daylight/actinic bulbs? and polyps are zoos too then right? mine dont look anything like yours they are not open and spread like that yours look like a dandy lion flower and mine look more like an anenamie (SP?)

8. Click Here!

9. tdevil

tdevil Feather Duster

[quote author=new2salt2 link=board=Coral;num=1077259159;start=0#5 date=02/23/04 at 02:20:11]ok.. so i can raise the leathers with 2 65W daylight/actinic bulbs?  and polyps are zoos too then right?  mine dont look anything like yours they are not open and spread like that yours look like a dandy lion flower and mine look more like an anenamie (SP?)[/quote]

well, you can raise leather with your lights, but i would stick to maybe a toadstool, like mine, they are a bit more hardy, IMO, your lights are a bit on the low side, but ok for now, i know a lot of people that have you light combo and there tanks are doing fine, im just a big fan of MH

i am sorry for not being clear on the polyps, no polyps arnt zoanthids, there comonly confused with them, i tell you what i will find a link to better explane this than i can ;)
    on another note, are you sure what you have is polyps, might just be me thinking to much, or the drugs the doctor has me on, but you did say that the star polyps are the first coral you got, so i think that either you got a great hitchhicker or you might have some aptasia anamones, which arnt good, they will multiply fast and can sting nearby corals, not trying to scare you but just a FYI ;)
    give me a few min and i will get the link fo explain zoo's and polyps and get a pic i took of a aptasia, that i have to find ;)

td

10. tdevil

tdevil Feather Duster

11. new2salt2

new2salt2 Fire Shrimp

no i will be mad if they are aptasia. i bought them on a very small rock at the pet shop. i have had aptasia before and they dont quite look the same. especially when they clsoe up they go inside themselves. iill try to take a pic and post it here as well

12. tdevil

tdevil Feather Duster

[quote author=new2salt2 link=board=Coral;num=1077259159;start=0#8 date=02/23/04 at 10:00:32]no i will be mad if they are aptasia.  i bought them on a very small rock at the pet shop.  i have had aptasia before and they dont quite look the same.  especially when they clsoe up they go inside themselves.  iill try to take a pic and post it here as well
    [/quote]

well, they are prob polyps then, sorry to worry you, i would like to see a pic though

td