Do mushrooms move?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by Nismo400rgtr, Dec 17, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

I have a St. Thomas that was on some small pieces of rock glued to a frag plug. Recently I pried it away from the plug and placed it on my substrate in a nice low flow area where I thought it'd be happy. In the last few days it's off of the pieces of rock it was on. Nothing I've noticed bothers it. I swear it's moving on its own! Can they do that?

2. Click Here!

3. aquariaman

aquariaman Pajama Cardinal

It can close and open on its own if that is what you are seeing but no, it cant physically move across the tank.

4. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

Opening and closing I know about. Must be flow or hermits moving it some then. Thanks

5. con999

con999 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

mine is i though just relly slowly like 1 cm a month, and leave little ones every were. mine has moved about 3 inches

6. jonjonwells

jonjonwells Great Blue Whale

It can not move like an anemone can, but it can release itself and float to a happier place.

7. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Yup, they certainly can. It may take weeks, but eventually he may move a few inches to be in a happy spot.

8. Click Here!

9. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

So I guess I'm standing alone here? I watched my St. Thomas move a little, and I have a picture to move that at least some mushrooms (ie - yuma), can move a lot.

[​IMG]

The big guy to the left of the frag disk originally started on the center of that disk, on the piece of rubble which is glued to it.

10. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Your not alone

Shrooms, will release if they are not happy in the conditions they are in, and will allow them selves to drift IME

and this may be a breif journey depending on flow rates etc
    and they may soon settle in a new area very close to where they where previously

Steve

11. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

Maybe it was like a partial release then? You could see the base "stretch" or elongate over a period of weeks for it to move in one direction. It really looked like a slow walk.

12. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

if you say you have seen it , you have seen it IMO
    Its not occured in any set up I have had, although the odd shroom has randomly appeared somewhere I never put it on a few occasions
    and not offspring, but large ones and the number on the rock where they used to be has decreased

this typically happened when any shroom rock I had seemed overcrowded with shrooms unable to create the fully round shape without having to cup slightly

Steve