Can xenia remonve phosphate and nitrate?

Discussion in 'Soft Corals' started by rc_mcwaters3, Mar 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rc_mcwaters3

rc_mcwaters3 Clown Trigger

I would like to see any proof of this claim or any proff that dis-proves that it dosent.

2. Click Here!

3. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Hi RC – I have zero proof for you. If I had time I would google, but its time to head to work. I thought Macro’s consume nitrates as fuel for photosynthesis and produce oxygen. Since Xenia is not a photosynthetic plant I place doubt on the claim that it consumes nitrates. Though I do believe it is a dirty coral that prefers less than perfect water quality to thrive.

Perhaps if you have time you could google photosynthesis and the uptake of nitrates and find your answer

Google " Xenia Scrubbers " --

4. rc_mcwaters3

thank you sir I will LOL ;D

5. rc_mcwaters3

I googled it and have seen more threads showing that they do export nitrates and phospates lol any one else on this?

6. rc_mcwaters3

Did a little more reading and can say that it dosent help with trace metal export in any realistic situation lol.

7. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

If you have a TINY two stock frag of it or whatever, you wont notice much..But if you have a large amount..You may notice some...Thats why some people put xenia in their fuges.

8. Click Here!

9. rc_mcwaters3

huh... I will have to try this and keep a log of my findings because I want a ton of it in my DT on a rock piller aboit 2 feet high. ;D at least that is what i want in my mind lol

10. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

Go buy a small frag of the ELONGATA type, that grows the fastest..I have it, i have had it for a week and it has grown about 2 new stocks on the bottom of it so far..If you have Halides they will go crazy.

11. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

Ok, finally at work. I have read various articles that seem to say that coral farmers add NO3 and PO4 to their water to increase growth. However, it seems they add very small amount –

All in all I have found no scientific evidence to the consumption of nitrates by corals. And sheer speculation that reef farmers purposely add NO3 and PO4 to their columns to stimulate and accelerate growth.

I agree, would be an interesting test to set up an aquarium cycle it, water change it until the nitrates are about 20 and put in a xenia and test the water for a couple of weeks. Or not …. lol

12. rc_mcwaters3

well mine are maintaning at about 20 ppm so I would love to get some and try it but I have 1 LFS and hes terriable so he is out of the question but if some one would donate tot the exxperment I would be more than happy to try it ;D also I have leds so it would be a two for one ;D