Vegasfish 240 gallon build

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by vegasfish, Mar 8, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

I thought I would start my build thread now and add to it as I work on the project. I picked up the tank on 03/01/2009. It is acrylic 8'x24"x24". I will be going with a closed loop system. I would like to use a 6' t5 lighting system if it will cover an 8' tank with proper lighting for a soft coral setup. I would like an Aqua C EV-240 protein skimmer or equivalent. After several recommendations I am planning a 40 + gallon refugium and a 55 + gallon sump. I need to make some measurements to see how I can fit them in the best.

When I purchased the tank it came with a stand and canopy. Cosmetically they need some work. This week I sanded down the stand and had to use some wood filler to fix holes and scratches. I hope to get the canopy sanded down this week so I can paint next week.

Thanks to everyone for all the advise and help over the last year with my 65 gallon setup. I am sure I will get the same great assistance with this build.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Nice size tank! Looks great. I can't wait to see it come along!

4. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

How much does yours weigh?

5. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

I don't know the exact weight, but my wife helped me me move it of the tailor and into the garage. I would guess close to 200 pounds. it is 1/2" acrylic all around. The stand weighs a lot more than the tank!

1 person likes this.
  6. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Nice. Weight is one thing I don't like about mine.
    Do you have any livestock planned out yet? Are you going to transfer the 65 inhabitants over once this one is up and running?

7. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

I will transfer everything over from the 65 to the 240 after the 240 cycles. As far as the live stock I am always dreaming about that but have not settled on anything yet. The nice thing about our new tanks we can pick out large fish now if we want:thumbs_up

The one fish I am scared to transfer is my fox face. Every time I have to put my hand in my tank for something I cringe at the thought of him hitting me with his venom. I have made a neat fish trap so I hope he falls for it before I have to remove the rock so I can put him in a QT while I complete the transfer.

8. Click Here!

9. vegasfish

vegasfish Feather Star

I was able to hide from my kids for a little bit today so i installed the base boards on my stand. Only a little more work on the stand and I will be able to paint it. That should be fun I will be using a spray gun for the first time. Luckily I grew up around a dad that always worked on things so watched him paint several times.

[​IMG]

10. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Looks great so far, can't wait to see it set up and running.

11. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

SWEET can't wait to see it come together

12. Av8Bluewater

Av8Bluewater Giant Squid

Please move faster.. I want to see it up and running.. hehe