Tims 28g NC HQI

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by TMcJilton, Mar 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TMcJilton

TMcJilton Plankton

I am posting a journal with photos of my new 28g NanoCube HQI setup. I will be reposting information and data regarding the tank regularly. Please provide me with any input or advice you may have.

Equipment:

JBJ 28g NanoCube HQI
    (1) 150W HQI/14K
    (4) Nite-Vu LEDs with Separate Power cord
    (2) UL-Listed Accela Powerheads (266gph each/16W each)
    (1) Hydor Koralia Nano
    (2) Directional flow nozzles on each side of the aquarium
    (1) Ocean Pulse Duo—Alternating WaveMaker
    (1)Protein Skimmer (counter current) with Air Pump
    (1) Integrated center overflow
    (4) Integrated cooling fans (3000rpm`s)
    (1) Integrated thermal protector for canopy (auto shut off protection)

JBJ Arctica 1/20 Nano Chiller
    Coralife 3x Turbotwist UV sterilizer

Sand /Rock:

20lbs Live sand
    35lbs Live rock (Indo)

Filters / Media:

Filter floss
    (2) sm Chemipure Elite

Setup / Plumbing:

I started by plumbing the UV and Chiller into the system. I have a dedicated 290gph powerhead located in the sump moving water out of the tank, through the UV, on to the Chiller, and the returning to the sump. I decided to use a dedicated pump because I have the two pumps for the main returns to the tank on a wavemaker alternating at 30sec intervals.

The tank is running without the protien skimmer and zero photo cycle currently and has been running since Wednesday February 27th.

The live rock used was not completely cured so I have been removing "die off" regularly.

I plan to cycle the tank untill the levels are at a zero reading. I will be posting regular updates with new h20 data. Please provide me with any feedback you may have.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

*More photos and data to be uploaded soon.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

Great job! just let tank cycle and you should be fine!

4. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

Looks great! Good luck!

5. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Sweet freakin tank!!!!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!!

6. Tanked001

Tanked001 Astrea Snail

Nice work!!!

Remember to be patient, and let it cycle

7. TMcJilton

TMcJilton Plankton

Thanks! I have had many tanks in the past and impatiently added livestock. I am really set on waiting untill it is perfect to add anything.

Ammonia is still spiked, but the h20 has cleared up quite a bit. I will add more info / photos soon.

8. Click Here!

9. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Sweet!! Keep us posted....

10. TMcJilton

TMcJilton Plankton

Great news!

I have been testing levels regularly and have had zero ammonia, trites, and trates for 3 days now. I am going to pick up a CUC tomorrow and let them go to work. I thought it would never happen with the high ammonia levels test results were showing. Out of nowhere, the ammonia was gone and there were very little trites. Then the next day there was nothing. Now it’s been 3 days of nothing. I even took a sample down to my LFS to have them test it as well, thinking that since they have a different kind of test kit it would give me a surefire way to know that my readings were true. EXCITING! Water clarity has definitely improved a lot. It’s completely clear aside from the small debris floating around. I’m not sure how to get rid of this but think that when I do my h20 change before adding a CUC, it will help.

I started running the stock protein skimmer that came with the setup. I figured it would break in by the time I have added a bio-load.

Any advice on what to get for a CUC? I was thinking a few Turbo snails and 6 or 7 hermits. Do you think it would be okay to add a damsel in too?

I can’t wait to slowly start stocking the tank.

11. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Welcome aboard, sweet set-up, looks like it was planned ahead, good for you. Keep us posted, with pics of course;D. Luna

12. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

The CUC sounds about right. As for the damsel, even if your not finished cycling, they are strong fish that will tolerate the spikes. I do have a suggestion, Instead of getting a damsel, get a clown instead. Same family and not as aggressive as damsels. Luna