Teeb's 40g Rimless Build

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by teeb, May 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. teeb

teeb Astrea Snail

I wanted to get a smaller higher tech tank and when I ran across the Cadlights Artisan, it was a great deal and perfect for what I'm looking for. I actually started this back in October, but have had few setback including having to order a second tank and sump due to some carlessness on my part. Water went in last week and everything is looking good so far.
    Equipment:
    Tank - Starfire, Rimless 36" x 16" x 16"
    Sump - Cadlights 17g Rimless
    Skimmer - Bubble Magus NAC3+
    Reactor - TLF 150 and BRS Biopellets
    Reactor - TLF KW100 Kalkwasser
    ATO Pump - Eheim Compact 1000
    Return Pump- Eheim 1262
    Plumbing - Hard plumbed with SCH80, Manifold to feed reactor
    Flow - Vortech MP10ES
    Lighting - Sunbrite Slimline
    Controller - RKL L3
    Sand - Caribsea Seaflor
    Now to the pics.
    They do a great job with the tanks. The seams line up perfectly, edges are smooth. It's definitely low iron glass, much clearer than the back panel/sump, but has more of tint to it than my AGE which uses true Starphire.
    [​IMG]
    The sump is perfect for what I'm wanting to do. From left to right, the first section of the sump will house the heater, water pump inlet and float switches/probes. Second chamber will be used for frags. The top chamber on the right will house the overflow and BP reactor. Bottom chamber will house the skimmer.
    [​IMG]
    I was too pleased with the plumbing that was supplied, so it will be replaced with these.
    [​IMG]
    Sump Layout:
    [​IMG]
    Plumbing to Tank:
    [​IMG]
    Sump inlet:
    This is SO quiet and controls salt creep well, plus it was about all I could fit next to the reactor. Big thanks to www.wetacrylic.com[/URL] for building it.
    [​IMG]
    Tank starting to cycle with temporary T5's.
    [​IMG]
    LED's came in! I love these. This is newer model where the LED's are more spreat out, has the 80 degree lenses and the integrated timer. Very cool so far.
    (Pic is a little dark. Will work on better ones once my kids go to bed.)
    [​IMG]

The tank is a little messy. When I first hooked up the ATO, the float switch got stuck and dumped a ton of kalkwasser in the tank. Luckily nothing was in it at the time. I've slowly been scraping and siphoning it off. This pic was taken a couple of days ago and looks much better now.

[​IMG]
    Will post more as I can. So far the only inhabitants are my B&W clown, a cleaner shrimp and a few turbo's. I do have a Yasha/Pistol on order that should be here in about a week. I added MB7 to the reactor when I first started cycling and I've had 0 Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate for the last 4 days. It seems to work well.

2. Click Here!

3. Magnus

Magnus Sharknado

Very nice setup, bud! How do you like that combination on your LED's? It seems to put out a nice cool blue.

I like it!... now... take it slow, let it grow ;)

4. teeb

teeb Astrea Snail

It looks pretty good, each pendant has 7 CW, 3 RB and 2 B. The white balance in that photo is WAY off. The fixtures are adjustable from from 6500k to 22k. I think that picture was taken with the 3 of the whites and 4 blues running. I've been really happy with the fixtures, the timer setting is nice, especially since it allowed me to get rid of one of my PC4's and open up a spot for the net module.

5. aw1447

aw1447 Montipora Capricornis

Sweet tank, I love the LEDs. I have a 40 breeder myself. Do you have any plans for livestock? Aside from the yasha..

6. teeb

teeb Astrea Snail

Thanks, I'm planning on adding some sort of clown. I had 2 B&W's, but lost one a few weeks ago. I'm not sure if I want another B&W or a Picasso. I'm also in the process of tracking down a Mystery Wrasse, Pink Streaked Wrasse and maybe a Tailspot Blenny. That should be more than enough for the tank.

Here's a few more pics.

I picked up this little ottoman cheap and it houses all of my electrical spaghetti. It keeps it out of sight and up off the floor if anything happens. I do have the SL1 mounted behind the stand to help keep the wire runs down. I need to get everything cleaned up and mount the vortech driver, just havent messed with it yet. I'm also debating mounting the RKL head unit in there, but I like being able to see everything from in the stand. I ordered a fan kit for the cabinet, with the doors closed, my temps were still at 80 and I designed for this to be as low heat as possible. With the doors open, it'll get down to 76-77 with no problem.

[​IMG]

Skimmer seems to be working great. It put out a TON of microbubbles for the first couple of days, but other that, I'm really happy with it.

[​IMG]

My first few corals went in. A couple of Magician and a Monster Lips Paly, the blue LED's really help with color. I had them under T5's in a temp tank and they look a lot better in here.

[​IMG]

Full tank shot, diatoms getting a little heavier.

[​IMG]

7. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

8. Click Here!

9. clarkkey594

clarkkey594 Aiptasia Anemone

That it does. Subscribed.

10. pink4miss

pink4miss Panda Puffer

i really like the look of those lights over the rimless its a very clean look

11. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

Ohh I like that Rockwork very much! What made you decide to go with that look

12. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

+1 on the rockwork, love it! Also love your tank in general, rimless with LEDs!

How long has the tank been cycled?