Tbelt's 180 gallon build

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by TBELT, Jan 23, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TBELT

TBELT Ritteri Anemone

For anybody who has followed my other threads you already know I have been having trouble with Nitrates in my tank. I have tried many things and cannot get my nitrates down below 50ppm. I tried everything but a refugium. So I looked at some for ideas and also wanted to upgrade my lighting to MH. Well.................... looked at Craigslist and low and behold I ended up with a new 180. So let the build begin. I was also able to upgrade my lighting as well. The best part was my wife was all for it. I am a very very lucky man. The pics below are what i got today. At the bottom i will post what I paid. Again Thank you to my wife Kelly for her continued support. I have upgraded from a red Sea 34 to a 55 to a 180 in 8 months. How lucky am I

It is a 180 with dual overflows. A 40 gallon sump with the 2 inlets enough powerheads to put a ripple in the gulf. I am going to refinish the stand and canopy to look better. I appoligize for any duplicate pics below but it was hard to figure out which ones I posted. I will try to keep up with this build better the my 55 so you can see the progress.

Thanks for looking. i plas on posting enough pics to get Luna to say stop.

[​IMG]
    The tank arrives home.
    The MH set up bulb was removed for transport

[​IMG]

The ballast for the MH light and it even works

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The lighting. Wiring needs to be tightened up a bit but there are plenty of options at this point

[​IMG]
    The stand itself
    Below are some of the xtras including a mag 24 pump plus many more
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The skimmer. It is 1 of 2 skimmers plus above is a phosphate reacter

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Above is the skimmer I will use

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

got 2 of these ballasts

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. NeighborTomita

NeighborTomita Banned

You've got every light except for pc :cheesy: I like it! Looks really good so far.

4. divott

divott Giant Squid

excellent score tony. looks like lots of work ahead , but will be well worth it in the end. thnx for sharing the new baby comin home. now get the elbow grease in motion. :)

guy

5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Looks like a good tank and some decent stuff to go with it. Nice work shop you have there too.

6. TBELT

TBELT Ritteri Anemone

Thanks for the kind words. Yes I have alot to do but I am going to take my time and do it right. I figure I am about 6 weeks from filling with water give or take. Lots more pics to come to show the progress. So much to do so little time. I am looking forward to getting it done. I will start tomorrow with refinishing stand and canopy. Hopefully when all is said and done I can kick the nitrates but with the sump. The guy I got it from was moving and was wnating to get rid of it badly. I went to look at the lights but he made me a great deal to take it all. Only $600 for everything ($350 is what he was asking for the lights and ballasts) I tried to say no on the set up but my mouth said yes. Glad I did. More pics to come.

Thanks again for looking

7. TBELT

TBELT Ritteri Anemone

Thanks the pics only show half of it. The other half has a table saw, lathe and more. I have been into building cabinets for about a year. I will find some pics and post them. Just finished 12 feet of uper nad lowers for my bar room.

8. Click Here!

9. TBELT

TBELT Ritteri Anemone

Here are 2 pics that show what the tank looked like set up. I got them from the guy who sold it to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well it is off to the garage (right after church) to start stripping the paint. I also have quite a bit of soft wood inside the canopy that needs attention. Work work work.

10. Gexx

Gexx Giant Squid

its after church so wheres the pics?

11. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Quite a find!! Look at all that stuff. Congratulations!! Can't wait to watch your build.

12. TBELT

TBELT Ritteri Anemone

Spent the day working on the canopy. Alot more wet wood damage then I thought. Mostly the edge that goes around the base of the canopy that sits on the tank top. Every screw rounded off on me so it was not a fun day. I did remove all the lights, reflectors and wiring and got all the canopy trim off. also sanded the inside of the canopy down to get rid of all the mold. There was aton of it.

I am thinking about painting the inside of the canopy sky blue. It will look nice for the fish (LOL) and should protect the wood. Has anybody done this? Is there a special paint for this? Still have to sand the base and canopy on the outside to prepare for the new paint.

Here is some of todays progress. Will not be able to do much this week as work has me traveling the entire week. I will continue to update as tome permits.

Thanks for looking.

Here is the canopy with all the lights still in

[​IMG]

Wet wood damage.

[​IMG]

Bad wood removed.

[​IMG]

later[​IMG]