ad-button

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2009, 05:53 AM   #11
Astrea Snail

Skin: Mint
Bzar has a reputation beyond reputeBzar has a reputation beyond reputeBzar has a reputation beyond reputeBzar has a reputation beyond reputeBzar has a reputation beyond reputeBzar has a reputation beyond reputeBzar has a reputation beyond reputeBzar has a reputation beyond reputeBzar has a reputation beyond reputeBzar has a reputation beyond reputeBzar has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

Couple new updates:

(Day 4 Part 1: Excel & Sump

(Day 4 Part 2: The Display

Also for those asking about vodka dosing....here is the list of cause/affects/actions I've compiled to help with that system. The info's mainly from Sonny's build, and a few other sources talking about vodka dosing.

Quote:
MB7 (Bottle Instructions.)
+
Vodka (or carbon) Dosing - Vodka Dosing by 'Genetics' and 'Stony_Corals' - Reefkeeping.com
=========================
Probiotic Reef Keeping.

Time to dose = during lights on seems best. MB7 into the display. Vodka into the sump.

Rules
1) Need a good skimmer

Noticed in Water testing
1) high nitrates = increase vodka as per instructions.
2) no Nitrate/Phos change in LONG time = try another carbon source like vinegar, sugar, biofule...
3) low nitrates = maintain till 0 then reduce to maintenence levels of vodka
4) Increase in Alk = stop dosing Cal / alk, test water change h20 for alk level. Decrease with large water changes and/or chemicals if it gets bad. Corals may stop taking Cal/ALK while getting used to Probiotic system & increased light.
4) new tank/build = follow instructions, stay close to the low side of dosing.
5) Phosphate being high = a round of GFO

Noticed in Algae/Bacteria Reaction
1) Bacterial Blooms (slimy white strings) = too much bacteria, decrease vodka dosing.
2) algae on glass after increase of MB7 = reduce MB7
3) brown dusting or brown hair like stuff = decrease MB7 (also check http://www.rimlessreef.com/1/post/20...eament-of.html )
4) cyano = increase MB7 and/or lower/stop vodka dose. After the cyano has gone away restart the vodka from the initial or maintenence dose. If it's really bad consider a "lights out" period. If really really bad consider "Red Slime Remover."
5) peach fuzz = stop or decrease (especially vodka) dosing for a while (about a week or till the fuzz dies off) then start back up with the maintenance dose. OR This may also just go away in time.
6) glass and sand getting dirtier = dose more/feed less

Noticed in Live Stock Reaction
1) Corals losing color = more feeding, possibly Amino Acids, lower photo period an hour for a while.
2) Corals Burnt Tips = check alkalinity..get it to 7-8 dKH by stop dosing alk...maybe stop dosing EVERYTHING if it gets bad.
3) Monti caps bleaching = Cut the vodka dosage in half and stay there until the cap starts to color up and/or lower the lighting photoperiod for a bit or have a light "day off."
4) Everything dies = Blame the wife, kids, or something other than your own possible mistakes

Other
1) substrate hardening = keep it broken up and syphoned with water changes. Maintain a good high PH of 8.1 - 8.3
Bzar is offline   Reply With Quote Top

Click Here!
Old 12-15-2009, 02:39 PM   #12
3reef Moderator

ReefSparky has a reputation beyond reputeReefSparky has a reputation beyond reputeReefSparky has a reputation beyond reputeReefSparky has a reputation beyond reputeReefSparky has a reputation beyond reputeReefSparky has a reputation beyond reputeReefSparky has a reputation beyond reputeReefSparky has a reputation beyond reputeReefSparky has a reputation beyond reputeReefSparky has a reputation beyond reputeReefSparky has a reputation beyond repute

supporter 
contributor 

gallery

FWIW, and this comes with NO EXPERIENCE--just what I've been reading since vodka became the craze. I've read more than a few accounts of those who dosed vodka and were sorry they had. Myriad things went bad, or wrong, or downhill--but the end comment was the same. "Don't mess with it."

IMO regular maintenance negates the need for vodka. IMO also, vodka is a shortcut to achieve something that can be achieved without it, but with more work. Keeping a reef tank is work. Plain and simple.

I might be completely off the mark here, there might be people who just know how to dose vodka properly and have great luck and continued success with it, but I've not heard of this being the norm.

Good luck whatever you do. Glad you're sticking around!
ReefSparky is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-15-2009, 04:18 PM   #13
Astrea Snail

Bzar has a reputation beyond reputeBzar has a reputation beyond reputeBzar has a reputation beyond reputeBzar has a reputation beyond reputeBzar has a reputation beyond reputeBzar has a reputation beyond reputeBzar has a reputation beyond reputeBzar has a reputation beyond reputeBzar has a reputation beyond reputeBzar has a reputation beyond reputeBzar has a reputation beyond repute

gallery

ReefSparky: Thanks for the words of caution. I too have read some things about vodka dosing that don't sound good, and so I'm approaching it with slow methodical additions with frequent testings and observation.

The vodka dosing for me is in addition to regular maintenance so I hope I wont need much in the long run to keep the nitrates and phos down. I think of it as a more effective macro algae. I also wouldn't attempt this if I didn't have confidence in my skimmer.

All that being said I'm thinking about switching to biopellets because I like to take vacations and would rather a less demanding route of encouraging a ULNS. They also seem safer from reports coming in.

Last edited by Bzar; 12-15-2009 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:24 PM   #14
Bubble Tip Anemone

Skin: Dark
Claic Yuzolt has a reputation beyond reputeClaic Yuzolt has a reputation beyond reputeClaic Yuzolt has a reputation beyond reputeClaic Yuzolt has a reputation beyond reputeClaic Yuzolt has a reputation beyond reputeClaic Yuzolt has a reputation beyond reputeClaic Yuzolt has a reputation beyond reputeClaic Yuzolt has a reputation beyond reputeClaic Yuzolt has a reputation beyond reputeClaic Yuzolt has a reputation beyond reputeClaic Yuzolt has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 

gallery

Bzar I just wanted to thank you for posting this here! I am watching every video you have and it is helping me and I am learning so much!

I just started back in October and had my tank crash on me and I am restarting it up in January, just gotta say that your videos are helping me do it right this time!

Thanks again.

I want to create the sprinkler/wave maker thingy lol I went to the link but the pictures are no longer there so it makes it hard to know how its done. Can you help me out with that?
Claic Yuzolt is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-16-2009, 07:43 PM   #15
Astrea Snail

gallery

Claic Yuzolt: Thanks for the kind words...and sorry to hear about that post losing it's pics. I'll try to find some time in the next day or so to make a video on that. it's a pretty popular topic and a really cool, easy, and cheap project....also the bennefits it adds to a tank are wonderful. So keep an eye out and I should have it uploaded soon.

Thanks for watching.

Rick.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:14 PM   #16
Giant Squid

Skin: Classic
Powerman has a reputation beyond reputePowerman has a reputation beyond reputePowerman has a reputation beyond reputePowerman has a reputation beyond reputePowerman has a reputation beyond reputePowerman has a reputation beyond reputePowerman has a reputation beyond reputePowerman has a reputation beyond reputePowerman has a reputation beyond reputePowerman has a reputation beyond reputePowerman has a reputation beyond repute

contributor 

gallery

Bzar, very nice setup. I should have looked at this sooner. I want a Calfo/Bean on my next tank. Very nice job incorporating the tank and the equipment room. I turned my stairway closet into an equipment room. wife hates it, i love it. I don'r see how anyone gets by without one. My next house will most definitely have a tank connected to a equipment room.
Powerman is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-16-2009, 08:15 PM   #17
Bubble Tip Anemone

Claic Yuzolt has a reputation beyond reputeClaic Yuzolt has a reputation beyond reputeClaic Yuzolt has a reputation beyond reputeClaic Yuzolt has a reputation beyond reputeClaic Yuzolt has a reputation beyond reputeClaic Yuzolt has a reputation beyond reputeClaic Yuzolt has a reputation beyond reputeClaic Yuzolt has a reputation beyond reputeClaic Yuzolt has a reputation beyond reputeClaic Yuzolt has a reputation beyond reputeClaic Yuzolt has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 

gallery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bzar View Post
Claic Yuzolt: Thanks for the kind words...and sorry to hear about that post losing it's pics. I'll try to find some time in the next day or so to make a video on that. it's a pretty popular topic and a really cool, easy, and cheap project....also the bennefits it adds to a tank are wonderful. So keep an eye out and I should have it uploaded soon.

Thanks for watching.

Rick.
Thanks.

Yeah your videos have really uplifted my will with this hobby. After my tank crashed I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue or not but after seeing your videos and how everything is so simple with a little patience and elbow grease.

Looking forward to all of your updates from here on out.
Old 12-18-2009, 07:22 PM   #18
Astrea Snail

gallery

Thanks for the great compliments guys. Really enjoying this site....just wish my works firewall wouldn't filter it out .. ... Anyway, new updates

Rickets Reef: DIY Surge Device Part 1
Rickets Reef: DIY Surge Device Part 2 - the spout
Ricket's Reef - Frags: Making and Mounting
Old 12-18-2009, 08:05 PM   #19
Kole Tang

yamaharider73 has a reputation beyond reputeyamaharider73 has a reputation beyond reputeyamaharider73 has a reputation beyond reputeyamaharider73 has a reputation beyond reputeyamaharider73 has a reputation beyond reputeyamaharider73 has a reputation beyond reputeyamaharider73 has a reputation beyond reputeyamaharider73 has a reputation beyond reputeyamaharider73 has a reputation beyond reputeyamaharider73 has a reputation beyond reputeyamaharider73 has a reputation beyond repute

3reefer 
contributor 

gallery

Thanks for the links. You have done some very cool things. Also I love the way your tank looks.
yamaharider73 is offline   Reply With Quote Top
Old 12-18-2009, 08:57 PM   #20
Bubble Tip Anemone

3reefer 

gallery

Thanks for the videos! Really helpful!

Just one question, do you have a link to where you got the sprinkler online? I tried to look at Target, Wal-Mart, and Lowes and they all didn't have any!

Click Here!