New Tank, Clam Only.

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Miles, Feb 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Miles

Miles Astrea Snail

The first big guys has been added, (Croceas) and planning to add later on some fantastic Maximas that I saw at my LFS, their beauty is killing me. (the price too)

The green Chromis have been there for awhile as I used them for cycling, I will remove them soon, but might keep the Anthias in there. 8)

Here is a video and slideshow from the tank for you to enjoy ;)

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

The clams are pretty cool, but you have a lot of fish, especially with no live rock. Also, clams suck up Ca, so make sure you are checking that to ensure its on par. Good luck with the maximas, I wish my lfs sold them. I've only seen crocea there.

5. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

6. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Crocea's are beautiful Tridacna Clams, but do you know about their husbandry, feeding and other requirements for long term success?
    How long has it been since your tank finished cycling?
    What do you have as far as lighting is concerned?
    You may have wanted to go with one of the easier clams to start off with to ensure your success and that of the clams in your tank. Squamosa and Deresa are by far, much easier than the Crocea and Maxima's due to lighting, especially!
    What about calcium? Are you dosing Kalkwasser or other "TWO PART Calcium additives?
    I don't want to start being a mother figure here but this is a very big step in your marine aquarium endeavor!
    Do you have any experience with Tridacna Clams?
    I just want you to succeed at maintaining a clam in your aquarium is all, instead of having them die and have you spend all that money as I know how much Crocea and Maxima Clams cost since I have three species of clam.
    I have failed miserably early in my attempts to maintain clams in my aquarium, to that I am deeply saddened!
    Because of these negative experiences, I hope to offer other aquarists insight to make them successful to where I was not!
    Good Luck

7. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Tank looks really nice I love clams had a nice clam tank once that was 4x4' and 10" deep just for clams and then I got involved with a breeding program for them . That brings me to this question what are you using for biological ,mechanical filtration ?

Reason I ask is with a tank full of clams if these is ever a spawn in progress ? you will have a tank of dead clams fast with inadequate filtration and water turn over .. And with mine I simple dosed a Kalk slurry . It was almost impossible to keep the aforementioned levels up via. hand dosing . But another option with a smaller system is a Ca reactor..and that will be almost a must ? and strontium is Key more so then just Ca..

10. Miles

Miles Astrea Snail

To Guitar Man: The calcium is set at 450 right now, I'm happy to have a good stability for this small tank. I've rarely seen maximas in LFS but Vivid Aquarium is not so far from my place and they got a huge arrival of maximas, I was drooling. ;D

To Coral Reefer: I read a lot of excellent informations on Clams Direct forum, It was very helpful. My tank finished cycling more than a month ago and the parameters have been stable. So far so good! The lighting is the 150W HQI pendant that comes with the Solana, but I'm planning on tweaking this guy and add an Fc2 socket to fit a 250W.
    I'm not sure what you mean by two part additives, the product I've always used is the Liquid Calcium by Kent Marine.
    I kept two Crocea clams before in my bigger tank for about 5 months one of them died, the other recovered from fish bites, she's now in my Solana, doing good. ;)
    Sorry to hear that man.

Bmshehan: Read that a while ago, excellent and very informative post 8)

To Tangster: I'm using crushed coral and frags of live rock for the biological, Then a skimmer for chemicals as well as Phosphate and Ammonia sponges, a few regular sponges for the mechanical and I've created a little compartment in the back filled with those tiny white feather dusters to filter.
    If a spawn is in progress, I have 10 Gallons of clean ocean water always full in case of an emergency. ;)
    That's pretty cool that you've got into breeding them! Do you have by chance pictures or a thread somewhere?

Thanks to all for the feedback! :) More Hi-def pics to come soon! 8)

11. Miles

Miles Astrea Snail

Here is an update with new arrivals: One Squamosa Clam in the back (big brown guy) and four Maximas (ultra). All doing good! 8)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. tinnghe

tinnghe Purple Spiny Lobster

another thing will be temperature they don't like sudden changenin temperature. They don't like high temp either