New Pico

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by reefmonkey, Apr 2, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

I was asked to review the BioBubble Gen 2.
    I intended to take it down once the review was complete but I rather enjoy watching the Masked Goby, shrimp and other critters go about their business while I go about the mundane humdrum of my work day.
    I decided to post this thread on 3Reef because my other builds are all on here, I want the world to see that after the hugely erroneous horrible review reefbuilders.com gave biobubble contains misinformation either due to ignorance or out right lies and besides where else would I show off my next great creation?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Current set up
    2 lbs. of sugar fine Caribbean skimmed from the surface of the bed in my 90G
    3 lbs. of live rock taken from the 90
    3 lbs. of dry rock I had on hand

Masked Goby
    2 Sexy Shrimp
    2 mini (not micro) red brittle stars
    3 mini feather dusters

3 Blue-leg hermits
    2 Astrea snails
    2 Nass. vibex
    2 dwarf Cerith

Ball Sponge
    Tree Sponge
    Frilly Sponge

I've been feeding the sponges and dusters about 2mL of Reef-Roids daily. Water changes are simple. Take a gallon out, put a gallon from the 90 back in.
    Customers have made a lot of comments about it since it is right on my desk at the counter. Because of that and the fact that I very much enjoy it, it will stay and I'll keep a record of it's progress here as well too.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

thats nifty! What do you think the maintenance will be like on the accordion and seals, to keep them water tight?

4. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

They are built to be submerged so should last for a very long time. But only time will tell.
    Wear isn't going to be an issue because you aren't rising/lowering the bellows everyday, or shouldn't be anyhow.

In addition to the rock and sand the folds of the bellows become another area for nitrifying bacteria to grow.

5. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

ok, I like the concept of it a lot, was just wondering if ya saw any issues keeping sand out of the seals or them wearing out. Been looking into pico's for awhile now.

6. reefmonkey

reefmonkey Giant Squid

Yeah don't uses sugar grain sand. Once I got it set up with a good, clean seal the gasket actually causes a vacuum on the bezel and will stick when I take the dome off.

7. pho88

pho88 Fire Worm

nice build;following