My first tank build. 58 gallon reef - day 1

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by greysoul, Apr 20, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

Today marks my entry into reef aquariums. It's been about 10 years since I had fresh water tanks, and I'm stoked to be getting back into this now. The industry/hobby has come a very long ways in 10 years, and I felt it time to start a new with a new direction.

I am building a 58 gallon reef tank. I haven't settled exactly on which reef system I want to replicate, but as I grew up in Hawaii I think a pacific fringe or patch reef is where I want to focus my first tank. I would love to have some good specimens from home, and I imagine I'd have quite a bit to choose from.

So anyways, not much in the way of pics yet, but here's the tank/stand and my shipping container of live and base rock, which I'll have to get to tomorrow.... didn't make enough water for them to all go in today. I have about half of what's seen here in a 20g tank with a skimmer, the base and some live are still in the box.

Open to any advice!

-Doug

Attached Files:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Your tank looks nice. I like the overflow. First off, I would try to keep the sand bed at about 2 inches. And I am assuming you are using RO water. If you are thinking tap water, I would consider RO. Many people do use tap water with success, but you end up importing phosphates, silicates, nitrates and a bunch of other -ates that you don't need.

Have fun!!!! And again....great looking tank.

4. Infantry1327

Infantry1327 Fire Shrimp

looks like its going to be a good build. good luck and keep us updated with lots of pics

5. greysoul

greysoul Stylophora

Yep, I have a 100gpd RO/DI set up.

I am using Reef Crystal salt, btw...

A few different sands / crushed coral for the sand bed. It's about 3.5" deep over all.

6. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

that CC on the bottom will hold all kinds of uneaten food and turn to nitrates, i keep my sand bed at 1" or less. p.s. thats a real nice setup, i love your tank....

7. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

Brings back great memories and the exitement of getting started!!! It will keep getting better--Good Job!

8. Click Here!

9. noobie

noobie Astrea Snail

Gorgeous aquarium set-up. :eek:

I've read that Flame Pygmyangels (C. loricula) from Hawaii have a deeper orange-red coloration.
    Also: 'Indo-Pacific Sea Farms' http://www.ipsf.com is stationed in Hawaii and specialize in aquaculturing local species for reef aquariums. :)

1 person likes this.
  10. Dasco

Dasco Vagabond Butterfly

so far so GREAT!!!!!

11. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

my first tank was a 58g, I actually still have one at my wife's office, identical tank to what you have there Oceanic 58g in oak finish with the matching stand using an acrylic sump

12. =Jwin=

=Jwin= Tassled File Fish

Wow I've never heard of a 58 gallon...I guess I learn something new everyday. It looks like you're doing everything right, so far. Good sized tank and sump. Good job with internal overflow as well, HOB just have that potential for bad, even though we've had a HOB overflow the whole time with no trouble. I guess it's a peace of mind issue with overflows.

What skimmer did you get? And, with 100 gpd, you should have that sucker filled up soon enough! :D Reef Crystals is a really good salt as well.

Looks great so far!