My 125 gallon tank build

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by rodcpierce, Feb 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. rodcpierce

rodcpierce Ritteri Anemone

Hey guys. I picked up this Oceanic 125 gallon tank and stand for free from a buddy. It was in horrible shape when i got it, but cleaned it up here tonight and now she looks brand new. This is going to be my build thread. Im going to go ahead and let everyone know that this might be a record length build thread. LOL. I am trying to do this on an extreme budget and have nothing but time. So it might take awhile. I was planning on drilling the tank and putting a sump in, but im having second thoughts on that now. I might get 2 HOB filtration units instead and go that route. We will see what I come up with here. Anyhow here are the pics:
    Before:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. scenario1313

scenario1313 Tassled File Fish

That tank cleaned up nice. Also you can't beat FREE

4. homegrowncorals

homegrowncorals Ribbon Eel

Nice job of cleaning it up ;D +k for the price

5. rodcpierce

Im going to put some murphy's oil soap on the stand and she will look brand new!! Thanks guys!

1 person likes this.
  6. chetrod

chetrod Peppermint Shrimp

good work cleaning that thing up. can't wait to see it with some life in it....

7. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

it's like night and day...congrats on the new tank!!

8. Click Here!

9. rodcpierce

Plans are to build the tank on a budget. So im going to be getting base rock to aquascape with. If anyone has any other ideas or places to buy on a budget, please to let me know.

10. yamaharider73

yamaharider73 Kole Tang

11. rodcpierce

Well, the tank will be up abit sooner then i expected. Im going with a 322 watt PC for now, as im sure ill get some flack from some of you for that, but its all i can afford at the moment trying to get it going. By the middle of next month im hoping to have my light, 150 lbs of live sand, around 75 pounds of base rock, 4 powerheads, heater, 2 Marineland biowheel 350 HOB filters, HOB protein skimmer, and salt. I know 75 lbs wont get me much, but its a start.

12. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

I would def. drill it now before it's setup. Once it is, you can't do anything about it. Don't regret it later on down the road. If you have the time, you mine as well do it right from the beginning. I feel the same way about the light. 322 watts of pc is not going to cut it for a any sort of reef tank on a 120. Try looking around Ebay or craigslist. If you want to keep corals you'll want to upgrade eventually and you will just be wasting money now. I don't mean to sound harsh, but I bought some equipment that I wish I had spent the extra money on then.