Logan's 75g - It's been fun!!

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by lmr2o, Sep 4, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

After about 3 months of research and reading these forums - I found a tank on craigslist and got started yesterday!

I got a 75g aquarium, 20g sump, protein skimmer, mag 9.5 return pump, two 250 MH and 2 t12 actinics.

Heres pictures:

[​IMG]
    75 gallon aquarium

[​IMG]
    20g sump

[​IMG]
    protein skimmer - It's a Berlin, looks pretty old, but I'm hoping I can still use it. (theres a lid its just not on in this pic)

[​IMG]
    return pump that came with it

[​IMG]
    stand - a little beat up but a little love can fix that

[​IMG]
    canopy

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    two 250w metal halides and two 48" t12 actinic bulbs.

[​IMG]
    another picture of the lights

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    total of 3 ballasts

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

Looks like you have a good start on everything you need.

4. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

I'm going to buy an overflow from gl@ss-holes and then painting the back blue (it was black when i bought it - paint came off very easy with some vinegar)

I'll also be buying new bulbs - thinking phoenix 14kk for the halides, not sure about the actinic, I've read a lot about t5 lights but hardly nothing on t12's. I know theres a size difference, but is everything else the same? Will these t12 lights be okay?

The guy had the skimmer beside the sump not submerged b/c it would not fit. Will build a fuge in the middle section and the return pump in the 3rd.

But for the next day or two -- it will be all about cleaning this used equipment!

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Cool congrats, have fun on the clean up. Are you planning on change out the bulbs in the near future? I would. Not a bad deal with the MH included.

6. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

thanks! it's exciting after doing nothing but reading for so long to finally get it started. I know there's a lot left to get it going, but I'm glad I bought all this used, will save me a lot of money for buying the rest of the stuff I need. I'm a few hundred dollars under-budget now considering just a new 75g tank and stand costs more than the 250 I spent so far :p

7. leighton1245

leighton1245 Horrid Stonefish

I would deff swap out the t12 for t5 retro fit much better. I have a glass-hole.com overflow and its amazing very high quality

8. Click Here!

9. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

I'm thinking I'll get these to replace the MH light.

14000K Metal Halide Bulb - Phoenix, Mogul Base

Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  10. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

Overflow

I am about to order my overflow from glass-holes.com. A few questions about flow in my tank.

It is 75gallons.. so 20 times that is 1500 gph. I don't want all of that running through my 20gallon sump, so this is what I was thinking:

Buy the 700 gph overflow kit from them (instead of the 1500)
    700 gph Overflow complete kit - Glass-Holes.com dope aquarium stuff

then buy two powerheads, something like this-
    Koralia Evolution 750 - 750 gph - 4.5W

Do you guys think this will be sufficient? Sorry for the dumb questions, just playing it safe and asking before I buy

11. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

First of all, congrats on the great score you made!

The return flow rate is up to the sump volume, not the main volume. I was told that the flow should be 6~10 times of the sump water volume. You have 20 gallon, but if you fill it up like 80%, 16 gallons of water. So the return flow should be 96~160 gph, I know it sounds crazy low flow, but it is what is suggested.

12. lmr2o

lmr2o Millepora

Thanks! That makes sense. I just really didn't want to get the 1500 and have to drill two holes, one will be stressful enough! lol