Little upgrade (no sump --> proflex sump) 29g

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by exactlyobp, Jan 24, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Hi 3reef people!

I have been on this forum for awhile (as a guest) and seems like a great place to share what we like, it's been really informative too. (Everytime I google something I ended up on this forum.)

Just wanted to say hi as a first timer and looking forward to getting involved with the community!

As the title says, recently we did some upgrade to our 29 gallon tank.

Before (has been established for 9 months. We take it very slow):
    [​IMG]
    2 ocellaris, 1 clown goby and 1 cleaner shrimp.

We wanted to have more options what we can add to this tank, we decided to add a sump refugium. (Aqueon Proflex 1)

After a nerve racking drilling, which succeeded fortunately, we have an overflow system!
    [​IMG]
    Its being tested for leaks in the garage before we put it in the house. The pump didnt arrive at that time, so its been tested with a weak sauce maxi jet 900 as a return pump.

Overflow inlet. I love this Glass-holes products. Lightning fast shipping too. Highly recommend them. Made in USA too. Very quiet. I went with a "Super Nano con Dientes Overflow Kit", comes with everything you need. All you need is a power drill and little bit of bravery :)
    [​IMG]

After tightening everything, put white sand and water in, waited over night, and this.
    [​IMG]

Up close return:
    [​IMG]
    This return kit is from the Glass-holes guy as well. ("1/2 Inch Return Kit")

This is the whole thing. Thought it might look better at night. :)
    [​IMG]

I do have a question for the "pros" though....

We are looking to add some corals, but our LFS charges an arm and a leg for them. Might have to order online. For example, the trumpet coral they had was 25 bucks a "head". It seems kinda steep, but thats what you get at a LFS I guess. :)

I am considering ordering some online, if you guys have any suggestions... hit me up!

2. Click Here!

3. skurious

skurious Sailfin Tang

welcome to 3reef, you have a nice set up there. I would check out live aquaria if your looking to order livestock online. should be a good place to compare price to your LFS as well.

4. bama

bama Humpback Whale

Hey it looks great! I love the glass holes over flow, mine rocked. I do have a question, when you cut the power how much of that drains back into the sump? With the return so low in the tank I can imagine you could have a potential flood. You might need to aim that return as high as you can to the surface. I did the same setup and realized it too late one evening when I had about 5 gallons on the floor. Just trying to help.

5. tooconceited

tooconceited Spaghetti Worm

As far as online ordering I've had a lot of success with saltwaterfish.com they have good prices and decent stuff. Of course for a CUC everyone raves about John Maloney and I'm definitely going to him next time.

6. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Thanks! Yup, Liveaquaria is one of the most visited sites in the household. We really like the trumpets.

Thanks! Yeah, the return being placed too low from the surface, when I noticed it, it was too late. I know it will be a flood in the living room when the power outage happens, so I am looking to get a check valve for my return asap.

Ok saltwaterfish.com. I will check it, now, like right now!

Wow people, thanks for the quick replies. I wasnt expecting them that fast at all :)

7. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Additional pic:
    [​IMG]

This bubble tip anemone is the newest addition to our tank. He is still deciding his favorite spot, the wife cant get over his bubblyness. "He is so bubbly!", she says it t least 5 times a day, everyday.

I was wondering tho, every morning, he is behind rocks, stuck to the back glass, as if he is hiding from the light. But he comes out from behind around evening maybe? I thought they liked light?? Cant figure out why. Any idea people?

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie

Nice work, +k.

I'm not going to beat the dead horse of anemones, but your tank is way too young for that nem. Keep an eye on it!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2011
  10. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Too long?

11. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

I am sure he meant too young - only long-established tanks are recommended by most members of this forum to house nems'.

You will have a challenge on your hands for sure - keep an eye on that bad boy!!! Make sure he cannot clog your overflow and watch that he does not float into a powerhead.

12. WhiskyTango

WhiskyTango Eyelash Blennie