Here we go! 300

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by CBSurfrider, Jan 8, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

This was supposed to go down in February, but the LFS that is selling me my 300DD has to be in their new location by this coming Monday. I bought their display tank. I just filled and moved four trash tubs worth of LR to my house and krikey they were a nuesance. So this will be my build thread and tank will be here Friday morning. any words of advice are welcome along the way. I want to do this right the first time. I bought their full set up. Lights, LR, tank, stand, water (should I even use it?) UV filter, skimmer, power heads etc etc. I'm obviously using new Fiji sand. I'm just wondering how much water to take from the old tank? If I missed anything let me know. I prob won't sleep tonight. I also got a Desarjini Tang as part of the deal that has been in the tank for a while. Please any suggestions or advice is gladly welcome. Thanks all

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

wow CB, you have hit this hobby full throttle!! I might try to use some of the water just from a cost and labor stand point if you already have a bunch of it, let it settle and take the water from the top down. I agree that starting with new sand is a good idea or else that would be pretty labor intensive to rinse all of that existing sand.

How did the setup look? I know you showed us pictures but were there any obvious issues? If you really liked the setup and it seemed to be running fine, I'd be inclined to try and use as much of the existing equipment and such that I could. That's JMO.

Congratulations on this! I'm sure you will have this up and running and turned into a show stopper in no time! Do you plan to have it be a reef or are you thinking along the lines of a more "fish" type of tank? You could maybe get that clown trigger now :)

4. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Go big or go home! My clown trigger :( I miss him. I'm thinking of going FOWLR. I'd get another one but don't they get aggressive towards other fish? Only reason I say FOWLR is I've always wanted either an Annularis or Blueface Angel. Any stocking recommendations would be great! I'm thinking a couple big guys and some schooling fish.

5. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

yes, I do believe they get aggressive, I was just thinking you would have a lot more luck keeping one in a 300 :) I love big angels, they are just so exquisite in their coloring.

6. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

You mean more luck than my 55 upright ;) It's embarrassing looking back at what I fell for at some of my LFS's. I made it a point that I won't purchase a single thing from them on this tank.

7. nightkidsi

nightkidsi Plankton

Cant wait to see how it all looks in the end.

8. Click Here!

9. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

Been busy building the stand and getting this thing into my house.. I'll be done adding the rest of the water today, rearrange the LR. then all I have left is the plumbing. When I made the stand I made it flush to the edges of the tank to give it a cleaner look. the down side is the 4x4's in the back are barely blocking my corner overflow holes. OOPS. A little sanding and I'm back on track.

Attached Files:

10. CBSurfrider

CBSurfrider Millepora

The water level is the old water I kept from the tank when it was set up at the LFS. The rest will be a new mix I'm picking up today.

11. BoB123

BoB123 Spaghetti Worm

Im saving up for the next 2-3 years to get one. Nice score!!!

12. SPINNER

SPINNER Fire Shrimp

If it was me I wouldn't use their old sand, would scrub/blow off rocks with old salt water before installing. Scrub filters well and all other products before reusing.
    Go slow and give your new tank a chance to balance out before adding more/new marine life:) You will have a cycle so I would add pre filters(changed every few days for a week) and some carbon.
    Congrads!!!

1 person likes this.