Budget 150 Gallon Build (OH LORD)

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Daniel072, Oct 28, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

Welp everyone here goes nothing. I'm moving into the 3 digit world with a 150 gallon tank that I aquired from a really good friend. (you know who you are) I will start by saying this is really a dream come true and if it weren't for this friend, the dream wouldn't be happening as I could never afford a project such as this so I want to say thank you (unnamed). Ok my plan is breaking down my 90 gallon wavefront and my 55 and consolidating into the 150. Since the 90 is a FOWLR tank I'm going to be losing my favorite fish (stars and stripes puffer) and my niger trigger. My LT. Tang and my yellow tang will be baby sat for a friend during this transition that I hope doesn't last too long. I will be using 50-75 percent new water in addition to old water from the tanks. I will be going with white sand this time also. I am still kinda torn between drilling this tank for the overflows or using a hob overflow. I have had a hob overflow on my 55 for a couple of years with no problems what so ever so I'm leaning in that direction. Flow will be created by a couple of seio pumps and any other powerhead I can find laying around. I will be using 2 existing skimmers that I have which are a Coralife SS125 and a PCI 2000. For right now this is where I am. There will be pics to follow soon so stay tuned to the budget 150.

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Good luck Daniel. Glad to see you found your way back here. Keep us posted with pics. Do I get anything if I guess where you are getting the tank? And how about some updated pics of your tank(s)/stuff from one of your other threads? Is that ss puffer the one that bit you while Ray and I were in the store?

4. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

LOL yeah that was him. I took him that day and it breaks my heart to get rid of him. He will be housed at johns and hopefully we can be very picky as to where he goes because he is such a good pal. I will get you some stuff as soon as what I have matures and yeah I'm sure you know where it's coming from. The 55 is barely full now so this is going to be interesting. As soon as I get a chance I will post some updated pics. I'm SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!

5. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

LOL;D Boy did you scream. Well, more like a yelp....... With some serious flinching involved.

1 person likes this.
  6. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

F u lol

1 person likes this.
  7. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

BTW my xenia is doing great thanks.

8. Click Here!

9. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Cool, is the 150 a 5ftx2ftx2ft? or is it 4 ft or 6ft long tank? What's your plan for lighting?

10. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Good luck with the new tank and I seriously hope that you post some pics. As far as the drilling vs HOB, I'll take drilled any day. That would be a no-brainer for me. Luna

11. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

ok this is a 5 x 2 x 2 which makes it an aquascaping dream. I currently have a 4 ft 4 x 96 watt pc fixture that I am going to use for the time being. I'm growing sps in the bottom of my 55 with it so I'm almost positive it will have the penetration needed for a softie lps dominated tank. Now, since the tank is 5 ft long and the fixure is 4 I'm going to pull the light all the way to one side of the tank and leave the other side dim hopefully giving it the "deep" look. This is where I plan on putting my Chili coral and gorgonians and any other low light coral or sponge that I may aquire.

12. Daniel072

Daniel072 Giant Squid

btw luna I agree with you on the drilled and I drilled my 50 gallon (5 holes in a tank that's only 3 ft long) and it worked will. The problem is, I can go buy another 50, but a tank this size there's no way I could afford to replace. This is honestly a once in a life shot for me so busting the tank isn't an option.