bmshehan's 55

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by bmshehan, Feb 23, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Thought I would start a thread of my tank/ progress for everyone to see. Plus it will help me keep track of a timeline of my tank.

The first pics were of my tank when I introduced first life on 1/3/2008.
    The other pics are of the new addition of baserock not too long ago (forget the date;))

So far I have learned 3 things: sit, wait, and research!!

Attached Files:

3 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. bmshehan

Some pics of my tank as I painted the background. I rolled on 2 coats a day apart of Royal Blue Rustoleum. There were absolutely no ill effects to my tank. If I had any advice it would be to tape the trim peices, I have a spot where the paint leached up & under the trim. Doesn't look too bad, but could have been prevented. And it does scratch relatively easily, so watch it!!

The last pic is of the plastic that was on the tank, faded at the top from the lights. Hopefully painting will not only eliminate stuff getting between the paper/glass but will also slow the process of fading!

This is pretty much how my tank sits now, I will update this thread with my new pics/updates8)

Attached Files:

• 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      90.6 KB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      77.2 KB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      93.7 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
  4. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Cool tank, rock setup and paint job! :)

Make sure all the pieces of rock are very stable. You don't want a avalance once you get it populated.

re:

Let me teach you one more. And maybe the most important or at least entertaining..."watch/observe!"
    ;D

Good Luck & keep it fun.

Learn to Live With It
    Adam Blundell M.S. ​

"...As surprising as it may seem your tank will look ugly at first. This happens to all new marine aquariums as they cycle through their initial filtration phase. Your tank may go brown, and then green, and then red, and then just look junky. It happens. Consequently the one coral you really want to keep may not live. You may struggle to raise the prize fish you originally intended to acquire. It's okay; just learn to love whatever is working for you. Remember, not only is this a hobby, but we are keeping living ecosystems. Special efforts should be put forth to enjoy and appreciate what we are keeping, whatever it may be. It takes time and patience to turn a glass box full of rock into a beautiful, thriving reef tank..."

1 person likes this.
  5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

Woo Hoo, your on your way dude. The aquascaping looks great. Cant wait to see more pics, esp. when you have more livestock.;D

1 person likes this.
  6. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Sweet!!! Looks awesome so far....

7. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Looking good mate!

8. Click Here!

9. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

As said looking good .. and in a few months it will be good to go..But I'm not sure why you are running that filter on the front or even what type of filter it is. Aslo for what ever its worth if anyone ever looks behind the tank to say hey !!! you have paint on the trim Take their beer from their hands and say Its time to go! .. The paint filling the cracks will stop slat from filling the crack.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2008
    1 person likes this.
  10. bmshehan

Very good point Tangster!! If Kogle wants to know why I got a little sloppy I'll take his Bud away and show him where the door is!! (Happens to be right next to the tank;)) Thanks for the feedback, have some more pics comin with the next "big" breakthrough!!

11. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

You guys must to of had quite of few of something when you was here yesterday because KOgle went off and left his jacket by the tank and it's 23 degrees outside. :dunce::smokin::beer2:

12. bmshehan

He realized it when we went out to Hoosier National Forest! Pretty darned cold...
    I can't say anything, I must've left my pop there too!! Geeze we're messy aren't we?!?!
    With Ogle you never know what he's got going on;D