65g oversized tank stand/ current 35g reef

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by Tengalla, Aug 26, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tengalla

Tengalla Astrea Snail

So I have done a quick over sized 65g tank stand.

[​IMG]

My new tank, the 65g is about 4' feet and the stand is 5'.
    Room under for one old 35g dt as a fuge, skimmer, lil giant 4xxQ, mini fridge and a any other later add-on's.
    [​IMG]

working on the outside to be seamless, and burgundy
    [​IMG]

as for now I have my lil tank. Sorry I have very small amount of pictures.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    and my refugium with the bad alge!! Can't wait to dump that out!
    [​IMG]

I will post pictures of the final stage of the stand on Sunday.
    It will be a while before it's set up and done.
    I need pump, sand a bit more rock!!!

FYI any one got an extra little giant 4 for sale??? Let me know!!!

Last edited: Aug 26, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. Powerman

Powerman Giant Squid

I really like your plans of what you want to do, and I really hate to say this.... but you have all your members in shear. Tank stands built out of 2x4s... or anything else for that matter, rests all the weight in compression of the frame to transfer all that weight into the ground not into a joint.

The cross members holding the tank are held in place by fasteners, and not on wood supports. And then those members holding them are joined by fasteners not being supported by vertical columns underneath.

There are many plans available for stands with 2x4 frames. Building oversized stands requires special attention since the edges are not being held by the vertical frame members transferring the weight to the ground.

I'm really really not trying to be critical, but I would not trust that design to hold 700+ lbs. of weight.

4. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

5. Tengalla

Tengalla Astrea Snail

Actualy, correct me If I'm wrong.

I used 2x6 for the legs, side's are conected by 3/4" ply wood (GOOD wood)
    same goes for the rear.

I have the weght transferring from a solid 3/4" wood to alot of surface area including
    where the 2x6 join in place to hold.

Rest assured I did test the weght factor befor I put anything more into this stand.
    I put th tank up with water, plus myself and what rock I could fit. And left for 3 days.

To build the outer frame with step one of stain.
    [​IMG]

is it the over time factor? Because it seemed to hold all the weight and movement
    I could put out.

6. Tengalla

Tengalla Astrea Snail

I mean I guess I could have a nice tv stand ha!

7. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

the plywood will help disperse the weight some, but just know a typical wood screw is rated to hold around 30# of downward force (correct me if I am wrong). a single load bearing beam directly under the tank to the bottom of the stand might not be a bad idea if it could be fit in somehow. the finished product looks great, I just hope it wont bow over time and lead to some serious problems down the road.

~Will.

~Will.

8. Click Here!

9. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

It is better to reinforce your legs. Have 2x4s support the edges. It looks like you haven't supported anything really and are relying on the screws to hold. A little extra wood and time is worth it in the long run. I just had to replace my stand due to it actually twisting. It was not a fun thing to do. Better safe than sorry.

1 person likes this.
  10. Tengalla

Tengalla Astrea Snail

Cool I will try to work in another beam or so I was thinking maybe doing another load carrying beam in the back. Or in the center; because I will be deviding the inside to keep heat from the fridge hitting the refuge.

11. iLLwiLL

iLLwiLL Sailfin Tang

after re-looking at the pics, definitly get some 2x4's inbetween that top plate and the bottom one, and get rid of that gap on the bottom so your load will go straight to the floor.

~Will.

12. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

Looks good, aesthetically. Definitely add supports to go under the 4 corners. Your putting in a fridge? That's cool(no pun intended. lol).:)