125 Gal

Discussion in 'Show Off Your Fish Tanks!' started by grubbsj, Jul 27, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

It is time to start a new build thread... The 75g is only a memory: Image of Last Day.... - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting,

So, what to do with the 125g, at least get it out of storage? :confused:
    Image of 120g Tank & Ca Reactor - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

But do we set it up along the wall like the 75g :(
    Now, I'll need to modify this stand if we choose to use it...we don't like hospital gowns because the back is open...

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. cannedmulder

cannedmulder Teardrop Maxima Clam

Boy I really like it set up as a peninsula! I think that is really smart looking because then you can see it from all angles. A small area from the side is only against a wall. If I had the room that is what I would love to dowith mine. That is how I had my 150 fresh before we had to move it.

If that is a pic of you house it also gives a wall to split one room from the other. I can see the canapy is open but is the stand in the back also open? I don't think it would take too much to cover those nicely!

4. SmittyCoco

SmittyCoco Fire Shrimp

Go for the penninsula. That will look sweet !;D
    Good luck ! Keep us posted.

5. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

I agree with penninsula, only draw back is that you'll have to make a new stand and canopy or cover the openings. Luna

1 person likes this.
  6. phorn

phorn Bristle Worm

+1 on the peninsula!

7. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

Yeah, like Luna said: some definite mods will have to be done to that canopy to leave it as a peninsula and have it esthetically pleasing to the eye. Or else you'll have an ugly overflow on that back side where everybody can see. See if you can get some nice matching style wood from your hardware store and build a piece and stain it to the color or the canopy, than pull out the side piece facing the wall and install the overflow there (mind you, overall length may be an issue).

Good luck, keep the build pics coming!

8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Peninsula's are pretty.

But remember drawback...that is allot of glass area to keep clean.

But in your household, you should only have to do odd days of the year.

Rhonda can do evens....

;D

10. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

I'd actually pick the set it up that's going to give you the best view of the tank the most of the time from the most angles. If you spend a lot of time on either side of the tank, then go for the peninsula setup. If most of the time you'd be looking at the tank from straight on, set it up against the wall. There's no overflow holes drilled yet, so you have a lot of choices.
    Ask Otty the pros/cons of having a peninsula setup. He can give you first hand experience on that.

11. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

Hey Otty....?

Otty, now that you're online..^

12. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Awful lot of light coming in those windows by the tank. That will be fuel for algae. Peninsula's are great but I see no OF or plumbing for incoming water. That all has to come in one end of the tank for it to look nice. You don't want a bunch of PH's and cords hanging down in the tank to make it look cluttered.

Step back take your time and engineer it once so your not spending twice as much later modifying something you done it a hurry to get the tank up.

Looks like it will be a nice piece of the ocean when you are done.