Saltwater Newbie

Discussion in 'Say Hello!' started by edmlfc1, Jan 24, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. edmlfc1

edmlfc1 Plankton

Many many years ago I had a saltwater tank. Back when the dinosaurs still roamed the earth.;D So I guess you would call me a newbie.::) About 5 months ago I purchased 2-Green Spotted Puffers (Cheech & Chong) which started out in fresh water. Over the last five months I have slowly raised them to saltwater. About 4 months ago I transfered them from a 44 gallon to a 125 Gallon 6' long tank. I plan to purchase a Procupine Puffer in the next few months. I do have a tank divider to seperate the two species. These will be the only 3 fish (no coral) in my tank. I just made a big step today and purchsed my very first protein skimmer. :first: I don't really have it yet but it should be here within the week. Now I will have to start stocking up on live rock. After I get everything I need for my now saltwater tank I will getting the Procupine Puffer. I am very excited! So far all has been good. I check my water weekly and keep a spreadsheet so that I can always go back and look things over. I also do weekly waterchanges. I have a total of 7 tanks. Here is my list:
    160 Gallon (Mixed African Cichlids)
    125 Gallon (Puffer Tank)
    44 Gallon (Angels & Blue German Rams)
    29 Gallon (Dwarf Puffers)
    28 Gallon (Apisto's & fry)
    20 Gallon (Apisto fry)
    10 Gallon (snails for puffer food)
    I also have 2 tanks at my job: 1-10 Gallon (paradise fish) & 1- 2 Gallon (Beta)
    As you can see most of my experience is freshwater tanks. All together I have about 29 years of aquarium experience. Although I knew some things about saltwater it seems I still have lots to learn. I have been reading forums, articles, books, etc. for the last 2 months. It seems that in the past 24 years equipment for saltwater has excellerated. I think I am rambling on now so I will stop. It's great to be here and meet everyone. I may have lots of questions in the future so please be patient with me. ;D
    Have a great day!!!!!!!

2. Click Here!

3. lunatik_69

lunatik_69 Giant Squid

WOW:eek: I think you need one more tank.:hehe: Welcome to 3reef and ask away if you need help. Luna

4. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

Welcome to 3Reef>>>>>>

5. edmlfc1

edmlfc1 Plankton

I think I need another tank also. :trampolin Maybe a 300 gallon. Just think of all the fish I could put in it! :goldfish::goldfish::goldfish::goldfish: The possabilities are endless.;D But my hubby will probally give me the boot if I get rid of any more furniture to make room for another tank.:oops:

6. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

What an Awesome "Say Hello" Welcome to 3reef! :wave: Like Luna said, "I think you need another tank." :lol: I wish you years of enjoyment and learning, in the salt water arena....:)

7. cuttingras

cuttingras Starving Artist :)

Uh ohhh...I think you might be in trouble :lol:

8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

[​IMG]

To 3Reef!!!

You are definitly a dedicated aquarist!

May you enjoy your SW system as much as FW ones.

Share some pics with us when you get some.

Good Luck!

[​IMG]

The Tao of Marine Aquaria
    Tips for Our Hobby and Life

© 1997 Adam H. Whitlock
    Edited By Elizabeth M. Lukan 11/25/00

[​IMG]

10. edmlfc1

edmlfc1 Plankton

Here is a picture of my current set up. It will be changing once I start adding the live rock.
    [​IMG]

11. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Nice size tank! Yeah you will want to add live rock to make your tank more consistent with our natural ocean biotopes!! Fake plants and dead bleached corals isn't natural, unless that is what you like!! More benefits in employing live rock!!!
    Good luck!
    AND welcome to 3reef!

12. edmlfc1

edmlfc1 Plankton

But I like the dead bleached coral. It's actually the colors I like. All of my other tanks have the natural look and I want this one to have lots of color. ;D